laminating autographs - good idea or not

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
undertaker
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

laminating autographs - good idea or not

Post by undertaker »

hey

Since I've got a lot of pics i printed myself and newspaper-pics in my collection i was thinking about laminating some of these pics to keep them from dammaging, turning brown, loosing color etc...but my worry is, would laminating an autograph damage it's value, compromise a check for authenticity. Can anyone help me on this...maybe there's a dealer here who knows this...does an autograph decrease in value when you laminate it?

ps: I'd never sell one of my autographs...but that doesn't mean i should compromise it's value neither.

grtz
Kev1n
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I don't know for sure, but I would think that laminating them would decrease the value.

If I were buying an autograph (I never have done) I think it being laminated would put me off. I can't really explain why - it just would.

If you want to preserve them, maybe put them in a folder or something. That way, they'll be kept as you got them, but won't go brown or anything.
YOURS_SINCERELY
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by YOURS_SINCERELY »

NEVER LAMINATE IT! Sure it may preserve the item, but it also seals it too! If you suddenly decide that you are fed up of it in the laminate then you are stuck with it! My own personal opinion is that laminating looks cheap and it restricts what you can do with the item.

Sure it does also diminish the value of the item (for insurance purposes or whatever), as it doesnt give the prospected buyer an option to do what they want with the item!

Hope this helps.

YOURS_SINCERELY
"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."
Margaret Thatcher.
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

Hi all, {up}

I totally agree!

DON'T LAMINATE THEM!!!!!

The first concern is the heat damage you might inflict by laminating them in the first place. Secondly, it would totally illiminate the possibility of professional authentication of the photograph.

I would use the trusty old plastic sleeves and ring-binder method. You can always insert card into the sleeve before for added rigidity.

Of course it's down to you, but DON'T DO IT!!! :lol:

Ian {thumb2}
Chrissy

Post by Chrissy »

I agree, do not laminate your autographs they would really decrease in price and such!! Keep them in protective covers so nothing happens to them!!

Chrissy :D
Thank you -Lil1- for the siggie set!
rpbluesman
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rpbluesman »

I agree with you all. Never laminate them.
James

Post by James »

I agree- it might wreck the photo and autograph

James
Cutie3409
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Cutie3409 »

I don't agree! :wink: LOL NOO! I'm just kidding. Everyone is right, laminating is not a good idea. The binder and plastic sleeve method works just fine for me! :D {up}
DELTA FAN

Post by DELTA FAN »

I think its a great idea to laminate them, as i do it so it will stay protective and if a celeb smugges it then if u laminate it stays the way the celeb wrote it, and if u dont then in months the writing will disappear so its a gd idea.
Dubsbball14
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Dubsbball14 »

DELTA FAN wrote:I think its a great idea to laminate them, as i do it so it will stay protective and if a celeb smugges it then if u laminate it stays the way the celeb wrote it, and if u dont then in months the writing will disappear so its a gd idea.
hmmmmm... :?