Book signing etiquette

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
eddyk
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Book signing etiquette

Post by eddyk »

British Cycling legend Sir Chris Hoy is in Manchester signing his Autobiography at the end of the month.

I am more than happy to buy his book in exchange for a signature, but what's the deal with getting other stuff signed too?

I was at the Olympic Opening Ceremony in London and would really love to get my event programme signed, even more than his Autobiography. It would look great framed on my wall.

bbgood39
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Book signing etiquette

Post by bbgood39 »

It depends on the store holding the signing. For the main Canadian retailer, Indigo, it also depends on the signer. I've seen some do just the book they're promoting, some with any of their books, some with a limit to the number but it can be anything. Call or email ahead to make sure!
Current Autographs: Hilary Duff (x4) IP, Hilary Duff (x2) PP, Stan Curtis IP (x2), Aria Wallace IP, Aria Wallace AUTH, Aria Wallace PP, Tim Deegan IP, Olesya Rulin IP (x2), SYTYCD Canada Judges IP, Savannah Outen AUTH (x2), Alexis Bledel SFM, Selena Gomez SFM, Selena Gomez AUTH (x2)Tanya Kim IP (x2), Leah Miller IP, Jasmine Richards IP (x2), Nick Spencer IP, Jacob Kraemer IP, Sally Taylor-Isherwood IP, Alyson Stoner IP (x2), Chelsea Staub AUTH, Katy Perry AUTH, Corbin Bleu AUTH (x2), WOW the Group IP, Alyssa Reid IP, Emily Osment IP (x2), Dakota Fanning AUTH (x2), Austin MacDonald IP, Austin MacDonald AUTH, Nicole Anderson AUTH (x3), Miley Cyrus AUTH, many more...
Favourite Autographs: Hilary Duff, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus (all authentic/IP)
Current Q&As: Nicole Anderson
IP = In Person / AUTH = Authentic / PP = Pre-Print / SFM = Studio Fan Mail
James

Post by James »

Depends on store, signer and how busy it is. No harm in asking him once you get to the desk though, worst he can do is say no.
downtoearth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by downtoearth »

If people can get an author's entire 10-book output signed at once, something I saw a few weeks ago, I'm sure Chris Hoy will sign your Olympic program :) Good luck!
eddyk
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by eddyk »

What time would you recommend I show up to this book signing?

Chris Hoy is incredibly popular in the UK, The signing starts at 6:30pm.
topsignatures
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by topsignatures »

Yep, just like the others are saying it depends. I'd always recommend bringing other items just in case. The bottom line is, you won't get it if you don't ask. Worst they can do is say no.
Check out http://www.TopSignatures.com
New items added very often and check out the "Autograph Adventures" section that chronicles the hunt for signatures.
Be sure to click "Like" on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/topsignaturesllc
eddyk
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by eddyk »

What I've done is bring a bit if fan mail with me, and inside the envelope I have included a LOR and SASE and a picture I would like him to sign.
iamdanieljlacey
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by iamdanieljlacey »

Hi :) I dont know if this book signing has already happened or not, but this could also be a reference to future ones too :)

When I went to meet Katie Price, I was told that she would only sign the magazine that she was there promoting. However, I saw a lot of people with her books in their hand too, and at the table, she would sign those as well as the magazine. The only thing she WOULDNT sign, was something that wasnt "official" (for example, a photo that was printed at home wouldnt have been signed, since Katie didnt "sell" it). I didnt have anything else with me that I could have asked Katie to sign, so I just got the magazine signed, and left. Katie's signing started at 3pm, and because of how popular she is, I got there at 1pm and found myself about 50 people away from the front of the queue! Yes, I had to wait a few hours, and even longer because Katie was late, but I'd rather have gotten there early than be right at the back of the queue, but thats just my personal preference :) I was also told by a member of staff at the shop she was signing at that Katie was in a "foul mood" that day, but when I got to the table she was lovely to me!

I'm not sure if this applies to other book signings, as the only other people I've met at signings are bands that have broken up after one single, but yeah.

Hope that helps :)
I am no longer using this site. Too many pricks.
eddyk
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by eddyk »

I showed up 2 hours before the signing and I was first in the queue.... it was very surprising.

Unfortunately G4S were there and they had decided that he would only be signing the books. This was especially annoying for the woman sat beside me. She was wearing a Team GB jacket signed by several Team GB athletes and had traveled a long way just to get Chris Hoy to sign it.
Anticipating this I hand delivered a bit of fan mail in which I included an item I wanted signing and a SASE. I will be doing this again at the Jessica Ennis book signing I am going to.

Here is my book that he signed...

I once saw a guy at a Mick Foley signing empty a carrier bag full of stuff on the table in font of him. Mick proceeded to sign everything, quite happily.
eddyk
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by eddyk »

Actually I've another question, what about posting fan mail to a book store where a celebrity will be signing? Sort of like how you might send a letter to an arena where a star will be performing.