Isnt it Dangerous to send Money through the post?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
EmmaSheree
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by EmmaSheree »

Hi,
I posted about International SASE and someone suggestioned getting some $$$ from the travel agent and include them in the envelope for return postage back to me in the UK.

I dont know about USA but in UK the posties take cash out of childrens bday cards as my mum sent my cousin a £20 note it went missing so she sent a £10 voucher and that also went missing.

Is there anyway to make it dicrete that there isnt any money in the envelope?

Thanks
Bill73
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Isnt it Dangerous to send Money through the post?

Post by Bill73 »

EmmaSheree wrote:Hi,
I posted about International SASE and someone suggestioned getting some $$$ from the travel agent and include them in the envelope for return postage back to me in the UK.

I dont know about USA but in UK the posties take cash out of childrens bday cards as my mum sent my cousin a £20 note it went missing so she sent a £10 voucher and that also went missing.

Is there anyway to make it dicrete that there isnt any money in the envelope?

Thanks
Years ago, I sent graduation notices to several people through the mail, and many of them sent cash back through the mail. I would wrap it inside a sheet of paper so you can't see it, and you should be ok.
EmmaSheree

Post by EmmaSheree »

Has anyone actually sent money through the post to America for them to buy a stamp in their home country?

Did you get a reply?
Jennie<3
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jennie<3 »

I would put the money in a little pouch/ a home made envelope.
swiftndbieber
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by swiftndbieber »

EmmaSheree wrote:Has anyone actually sent money through the post to America for them to buy a stamp in their home country?

Did you get a reply?
yeah I do it on all of my requests, I live in the UK and find IRC's to expensive so I use dollars, it has never caused any problems for me before, I have even sent some of the dollars in like coin version as I had change from my holiday rather than note version and it still caused no problem, I actually purchase my dollars at the post office then put them in the envelope infront of the staff seal it then send it through the same staff who just sold me the dollars like all in one go and they have never said anything so I dont think it matters
Collections:
Pretty Little Liars, Make it or Break it, Hunger Games, Twilight, The Secret Life of an American Teenager, The Fosters, Modern Family, New Girl, Lying Game, Glee, Victorious, Disney , Nickelodeon, Hollywood, Singers, Others

my website: http://abiautographs.weebly.com/
EmmaSheree

Post by EmmaSheree »

swiftndbieber wrote:
EmmaSheree wrote:Has anyone actually sent money through the post to America for them to buy a stamp in their home country?

Did you get a reply?
yeah I do it on all of my requests, I live in the UK and find IRC's to expensive so I use dollars, it has never caused any problems for me before, I have even sent some of the dollars in like coin version as I had change from my holiday rather than note version and it still caused no problem, I actually purchase my dollars at the post office then put them in the envelope infront of the staff seal it then send it through the same staff who just sold me the dollars like all in one go and they have never said anything so I dont think it matters
Thanks Does this work for all USA stars? as i want to write to stefanie scott, Bridit Mendler selena Gomez and Demi Lovato and debby ryan?

IRC have apparently been discontinued in the UK as of 31st dec 2011
Bill73
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Bill73 »

EmmaSheree wrote:
swiftndbieber wrote:

Did you get a reply?
Thanks Does this work for all USA stars? as i want to write to stefanie scott, Bridit Mendler selena Gomez and Demi Lovato and debby ryan?

Sending cash is really not much different than an IRC. If you explain to them that the UK no longer sells IRCs in your letter, I am sure they would take your cash instead. However, if I were you, I would find someone online to buy stamps for you in the United States.
Wordsworth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Wordsworth »

There are some people who look for envelopes that appear to be birthday/graduation/wedding cards, steal them out of mailboxes or other places and take whatever money or gift cards are inside. For this reason, sending cash even in the US is largely discouraged. However, I do it all the time and I've never had someone say they didn't get it.

Obviously, one takes the risk.
swiftndbieber
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by swiftndbieber »

EmmaSheree wrote:
swiftndbieber wrote:

Did you get a reply?
I'm not gonna say dont try because I believe that you never know for certain until you try but in all honestly it is unlikely these celebs will reply whether you send dollars or not, they are hard to get and dont often answer to fanmail, just thought I'd warn you incase you wanted to save your money for some over requests but by all means try, I have tried them and havent heard anything back though

Collections:
Pretty Little Liars, Make it or Break it, Hunger Games, Twilight, The Secret Life of an American Teenager, The Fosters, Modern Family, New Girl, Lying Game, Glee, Victorious, Disney , Nickelodeon, Hollywood, Singers, Others

my website: http://abiautographs.weebly.com/
downtoearth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by downtoearth »

I know this is old, but I sent away for one of my favorite soccer player's autograph and taped a bag with a Euro coin and a five-Euro note to the inside of the envelope.