Here's prices for postage to USA & Europe from the UK

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner

Here's prices for postage to USA & Europe from the UK

Post by TheCollector »

Hi everyone!

I have had a few PM's recently about how much it costs to post from the UK to the USA and Europe, both for the benefit of UK collectors sending abroad, and for Americans' and Europeans' using IRC's to hear back from the UK.

As you will probably know, it depends on the weight of the letter/pacakge to be sent or returned. The costs below have been confirmed to me by the UK Royal Mail this morning:

Letters to the USA from the UK:
  • 47p 10g (postcard or v.small letter)
    68p 20g
    1.05 40g
    1.42 60g
    1.79 80g
    2.16 100g
Letters to Europe from the UK:
  • 42p 10-20g
    60p 40g
    78p 60g
    96p 80g
    1.14 100g
Unless you are sending or receiving a paving slab(!), most letters should be under 100g. In fact, a 9x12 (A4) envelope with a return 9x12 (A4) and 10x8 photo enclosed should weigh no more than 40-60gm.

If sending IRC's with your letters to over the cost of reply, 2-3 IRC's are usually sufficient to hear back from the USA, UK & Europe.

I hope this helps!!!{thumb2}
Ian [uk]
TheCollector

Prices

Post by TheCollector »

Are the prices for US to UK in UK pounds, or US dollars?
The prices I gave are all in UK Sterling as they mainly cover the postage for sending from the UK to the US and Europe.

Cost from the USA to the UK & Europe are (via USPS):

10g (0.4 oz) = $0.80
20g (0.71 oz) = $0.80
40g (1.42 oz) = $1.60
60g (2.12 oz) = $2.40

So generally an 80c stamp should do it unless you are including cardboard return envelopes etc.

Cheers,
Ian {up}
Last edited by TheCollector on Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blitzkreig
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by blitzkreig »

Hi Ian, how much roughly would you think a magazine would weigh?
TheCollector

Mag cost

Post by TheCollector »

blitzkreig wrote:Hi Ian, how much roughly would you think a magazine would weigh?
Hi blitzkreig {up}

It obviously depends on the exact weight of your magazine, but as a rough guide I weighed a 140 page magazine and it was about 225g (8 oz).

The cost to mail this from the UK to the USA would be: £4.75, and the cost to mail it to Europe would be £2.37 both via AIRMAIL.

If you include IRC's for its return from the USA you would need US$6.40 worth of coupons.

Best bet is to weigh your magazine and then check out the two web pages below to establish the exact postal costs:

Hope this helps {thumb2}
Ian
blitzkreig
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Good luck

Post by blitzkreig »

(*Gasps*) What? Is that so? I might just have to try this once...
TheCollector

Re: Good luck

Post by TheCollector »

blitzkreig wrote:(*Gasps*) What? Is that so? I might just have to try this once...
Good luck {up}

What magazine were you thinking of mailing, and to whom?!!!! :D

Ian {thumb2}
blitzkreig
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by blitzkreig »

Well I was thinking of sending a copy of 'Ace Tennis' with Naria Sharapova on the front cover. It has 100 odd pages on it, so I think the best thing is to write to them first and ask if how long does she take to sign fan mail (which I think depends on her hectic schedule), and if they DO sign fan mail (lol, especially magazines).
TheCollector

Magazine

Post by TheCollector »

blitzkreig wrote:Well I was thinking of sending a copy of 'Ace Tennis' with Naria Sharapova on the front cover. It has 100 odd pages on it, so I think the best thing is to write to them first and ask if how long does she take to sign fan mail (which I think depends on her hectic schedule), and if they DO sign fan mail (lol, especially magazines).
Hi {up}

That's not a bad idea. You don't want to lose your mag by sending it unannounced!

Just a thought, but you might try asking if she could sign a magazine cover for you in your first letter. The chances are that the publisher sent her a few hundred free copies when it came out and her agents may already have some pre-signed.

I couldn't hurt!

Ian {up}
blitzkreig
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Magazine

Post by blitzkreig »

TheCollector wrote:
blitzkreig wrote:Well I was thinking of sending a copy of 'Ace Tennis' with Naria Sharapova on the front cover. It has 100 odd pages on it, so I think the best thing is to write to them first and ask if how long does she take to sign fan mail (which I think depends on her hectic schedule), and if they DO sign fan mail (lol, especially magazines).
Hi {up}

That's not a bad idea. You don't want to lose your mag by sending it unannounced!

Just a thought, but you might try asking if she could sign a magazine cover for you in your first letter. The chances are that the publisher sent her a few hundred free copies when it came out and her agents may already have some pre-signed.

I couldn't hurt!

Ian {up}
Yeah that a good idea! But I doubt it though- probably a different magazine but Im not going to complain.