George Mendonsa-Life Magazine Cover Photo

Post your feedback about a celebrity address you have tested. Win a $10 Gift Certificate! How? Test an Address and Post your Feedback!
timsaucier
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

George Mendonsa-Life Magazine Cover Photo

Post by timsaucier »

Man who claims to be the Sailor kissing a nurse on VJ Day in Alfred Eisenstadt's famous Life Magazine photo

9 North Drive
Middletown,RI 02842
gww
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: George Mendoza-Life Magazine Cover Photo

Post by gww »

FYI... his name is George Mendonsa, not Mendoza.
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by caappy »

Is he still alive??
gww
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gww »

caappy wrote:Is he still alive??
No, he signed an autograph from the grave.

YES he is still alive!

There are a number of men (and women) who have claimed to be the ones in the famous photograph. However, the newest theory which comes from a book written in 2012 says that the people in the photo are George Mendonsa and Greta Friedman. I believe Greta is still alive too but I am not positive. Both of them are in their early 90s.
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by caappy »

Nothing said he was alive, it inferred he was.. the first entry in here gave limited info.. nothing mentioned that they received a signed photo or it was return to sender.. not even a mention of sending something to be signed.. almost like they were just tossing the address out there...
gww
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gww »

caappy wrote:Nothing said he was alive, it inferred he was.. the first entry in here gave limited info.. nothing mentioned that they received a signed photo or it was return to sender.. not even a mention of sending something to be signed.. almost like they were just tossing the address out there...
You're absolutely right, caapy. Sorry about that. I inferred that the original poster was saying they received a success. After you pointed it out I realize that it gave no information other than throwing the address out there.
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by caappy »

No problem .. but it was good to know that you knew that guys correct name in the photo.. he would be a good autograph to have on that famous photo..
gww
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gww »

caappy wrote:No problem .. but it was good to know that you knew that guys correct name in the photo.. he would be a good autograph to have on that famous photo..
Agreed. This post has inspired me to print out a copy of the photo and I'm going to send to him ASAP!
caappy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by caappy »

Good luck... let me know what happens, please...
gww
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gww »

caappy wrote:Good luck... let me know what happens, please...

Wonderful success! Sent Aug 13, 2015 and received Aug 27, 2015. Mendonsa (92 years old) signed an 11x14 and an 8x10 I sent him. Asked him to write the date/location/his rank on the photo and he did a beautiful job! He also wrote a note "I don't know where or when but your last name sounds very familiar to me" and signed that too.

Time published this great video they day after I sent this out. I didn't even realize I was sending a day before the 70th anniversary of the photo!
http://time.com/3998602/v-j-day-kissing ... -identity/