Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure what category to post in

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
jonasbrothers22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure what category to post in

Post by jonasbrothers22 »

Ok, first time Autograph collector. Never done this before but want to make a hobby out of it. I live in Canada, so I understand I need an IRC which I have already purchased at my post office for $3.50. Now next, how/where do I get a good picture of the celebrity? Do I have to mail a picture to them? If so, how? I was thinking about doing the thing on the Walmart website, where you upload your pictures online, and then pick them up the next day in an 8 x 12 / 8 x 10 size. But it costs about 2 dollars or so. Then the envelope which is the same.

So I'm looking for a couple things:
1. Is it a costly hobby to start?
2. How do I get a picture?

And finally, If I want to mail it to a musician, I understand that they tour, so I get the whole Via Venue thing, but what if my letter doesn't make it to the place they are playing on time? Then I get an RTS?

Just hoping someone can help me out ! :D Thanks soooo much !!
dan24591
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure what category to post in

Post by dan24591 »

jonasbrothers22 wrote:Ok, first time Autograph collector. Never done this before but want to make a hobby out of it. I live in Canada, so I understand I need an IRC which I have already purchased at my post office for $3.50. Now next, how/where do I get a good picture of the celebrity? Do I have to mail a picture to them? If so, how? I was thinking about doing the thing on the Walmart website, where you upload your pictures online, and then pick them up the next day in an 8 x 12 / 8 x 10 size. But it costs about 2 dollars or so. Then the envelope which is the same.

So I'm looking for a couple things:
1. Is it a costly hobby to start?
2. How do I get a picture?

And finally, If I want to mail it to a musician, I understand that they tour, so I get the whole Via Venue thing, but what if my letter doesn't make it to the place they are playing on time? Then I get an RTS?

Just hoping someone can help me out ! :D Thanks soooo much !!
Hey there. Welcome to the site! The way I print out pictures is I go to a kodak store where they have kiosks at the back that allow you to put in some sort of storage device and print the images out on rich kodak paper. There are numerous sites that offer digital photo printing. Just search it in Google. You don't always have to mail a picture, Only a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope and a letter. Sometimes the person will include a photo themselves. If you mail to a musician and the letter gets to the venue too late, You may not get anything back or the venue could just send it back to you. It's definitely not a costly hobby. All you really have to pay is for postage and envelopes.
Daniel
Latest successes: Bam Margera, Kat Von D.
Favourite Successes: Bam Margera, Rik Mayall.
Total autographs: Derren Brown, John Travolta, Kat Von D (x2), Rik Mayall, Jason Biggs, Tobey Maguire, Matt Le Blanc, Kate Moss, Boston Red Sox, Steve & Terri Irwin, Deron Miller, Johnny Depp, Bam Margera, Jess Margera, April Margera, Phil Margera.
jonasbrothers22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Thanks so much! I know I probably sound like a complete dummy :razz: but I just wanted to do it right ! I hear that you may have to spend so money (About 5$/autograph) which isnt bad because if you get a success, the autograph is worth it.

Thanks so much. I will definitely take your advice on everything!
rockchic95
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rockchic95 »

Hey! Welcome to fanmail.biz! Well, to answer your question, you don't neccessarily HAVE to mail the celeb a picture if you find it too costly or if you don't have any photos around.. because most celebs send you their own pictures signed...well unless if you want them to sign something that belongs to you, then it might cost a bit more. IRCs are a more generous offer for the celeb to exchange for returning the autograph to you, but sometimes, like I said, you don't HAVE to send them IRCs if you find it too costly especially when you want to write to many celebs abroad. If you want to write to a muscian via venue, you would have to estimate or find out the time needed for mail to get to where they are or else you would miss them and it would be a good idea for you to send your own picture and IRC especially writing to someone via venue while they are on tour because they are travelling around and may need some convenience from autograph collectors. But, you can also find an alternative address like their managements or companies so that it would be a better chance of you to get them after their tour, and most probably that is when they can supply you their own pictures and most of the time, they would still send you the autograph if you don't supply return postage. Autograph collecting CAN be costly at times, but mostly, it's just a cost of a stamp and a regular sized envelope ;-)
<3 Spain and Argentina <3 (No other sport beats soccer!)
If you want a siggy or avatar like mine or any kind, contact Peanut1234 or Mrs-Orlando Bloom, so please don't steal mine!
x hayley x
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by x hayley x »

Hey, I have moved this to collecting help for you :)
Well I print my pictures off at home, I search google to find a picture I like and then I print it out onto photo paper. It always looks really good quality.
And yes, this hobby can get a little pricey! With all the stamps, IRC's, printer ink, photo paper, envelopes/stationary etc. you have to buy it does all add up! What I do though is make sure I don't go over a certain amount each month. If I don't have the money then I just don't send anything for a little while! I'll still write letters in my spare time, but I just have to keep hold of them for a bit before posting.
With VV, you could send the letter a little earlier than you usually would to guarantee it does get there on time. Just make sure you write "Please hold for (date of concert)" on the envelope.
Good luck with your collecting!
Thanks -Lil1- for the amazing set!
Favourite autographs: Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Paul Daley, Rashad Evans, Chris Leben and Ariel Helwani
Most wanted: Mariah Carey, Michelle Rodriguez, Shania Twain, Michael Bisping, GSP and Dixie Chicks
jonasbrothers22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Thanks everyone! I will take the advice given. I hear collecting can be a very worthwhile hobby, and that the autograph is worth the wait and everything. I am sending my first request out today :D !

Thanks for all the help
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by johnnylightning »

I also live in canada,i find it is alot cheaper to purchase us stamps on ebay than it is to buy irc's for sending reguests to the u.s. Plus im not sure 1 irc is enough for a 8x10 size envelope.As far as pictures go at first i sent what i had or index cards but if you plan on sending out alot its well worth buying a cheap photo printer and printing out 4x6 photos(i just purchased one for $60.00 and it prints out nice photos).hope this helps because i know how difficult it can be sending requests from caanda to the us when irc,s are $3.50 each.
rachdun
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rachdun »

I hope you don't mind me asking a question in this thread, but I live in the UK and would also like to send a request to someone in America. I would like to buy US Stamps for the SAE, but don't know which ones to buy - there seem to be so many on Ebay.com. I am sending an envelope large enough to fit an 8 by 10 inch photo. Could someone please also advise me on how much it would cost to get such an envelope back from the US?

Thanks
wheniam6
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by wheniam6 »

rachdun wrote:I hope you don't mind me asking a question in this thread, but I live in the UK and would also like to send a request to someone in America. I would like to buy US Stamps for the SAE, but don't know which ones to buy - there seem to be so many on Ebay.com. I am sending an envelope large enough to fit an 8 by 10 inch photo. Could someone please also advise me on how much it would cost to get such an envelope back from the US?

Thanks

best stamp is a FOREVER stamp because whenever the U.S. stamp price goes up it goes with it. If i were you, to be safe, i would put 3 forever stamps on.

Wheniam6
[Image
Thanks to Peanut1234 for the awsomical siggy right here and Corekid for the bordering of the siggy!

Official Moderator!
rachdun
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by rachdun »

Thanks for the info :D