I'm new to this so............

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
leona_xx
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

I'm new to this so............

Post by leona_xx »

Can anyone tell me what I would need to sent a request to a celeb. I live in England so how many stamps would I need? would I need any other stamps? I really want to start collecting but I'm not sure how! :(
KellyMBel
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by KellyMBel »

First off definitaly include a letter. If you would like to increase your chances of getting something back, I would send a 9x12 SAE, and two IRCs. To lower to price to send it to the US I would fold the 9x12 SAE into a normal size envelope. I am not sure how much UK to US would cost, so next time when you go to the post office, I would ask.
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I think that for most of my letters to America, its been £1.05 (2 envelopes, a letter and a blank postcard).

I think thats like the 2nd 'band' of cost for a letter to America (something like a postcard may be cheaper still). I too would recommend that you get it weighed at a post office - that way they can print off the exact amount and you won't put too little or waste any stamps.

For letters within the UK, a 2nd class stamp is fine on both envelopes (they cover up to 60g). I wouldn't bother with first class stamps because they cost more and you won't really notice a few days here and there.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Hi all!

I totally agree with barmy_army008 and KellyMBel {up}

I have tended to go for the £1.05 option myself (with 2x IRC's for return envelope - if you are going to include them!)

Just thought I would post a price guide to give you an idea of post costs from the UK to Europe and the USA.

Currently postage out of the UK is soley based on weight not size of envelope, (a petition has been passed by the Royal Mail to the UK government though to change the way postage is charged, i.e. more on size of envelope than on weight, but I think this could be a way off).

USA
47p postcard
68p 20g
1.05 40g
1.42 60g
1.79 80g
2.16 100g

Europe
42p 20g
60p 40g
78p 60g
96p 80g