In need of some charity autograph auctioning advice ...

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
myth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

In need of some charity autograph auctioning advice ...

Post by myth »

I have been collecting for a charity auction and I am in need of some advice concerning whether I should sell the autographs individually or as a collection. (Obviously, the successes such as JK Rowling's and Susan Boyle's, I can't include.)

I have handwritten all of the letters mentioned and will mention since August of this year. C:

The names I currenly have are:
• Susan Boyle (pre-print - promotional postcard explaining how busy she is)
• Ozzy Osbourne (authentic)
• Sharon Osbourne (authentic)
• Kelly Osbourne (nearly positive it's authentic and I didn't even ask for hers. {up} I might post some photos at some point for some assistance! ;-))
• Emma Watson (pre-print)
• Daniel Radcliffe (nearly positive it's a pre-print, but I might post some photos to be 100% sure.)
• Ewan McGregor (pre-print)
• Victoria Beckham (authentic and inscribed with 'love' :))
• Daniel Craig (pre-print as he was unfortunately away at the time)
• David Walliams (authentic - definitely my best success due to other items included, including some for myself. {??})
• James May (authentic)
• Michael Morpurgo (authentic)
• Judi Dench (authentic)
• JK Rowling (a letter explaining how busy she is)
• Rolf Harris (authentic)
• Stephen Fry (authentic)
• Ricky Gervais (authentic)
• Robbie Coltrane (authentic)
• Gordon Ramsey (authentic)
• Matt Lucas (authentic and signed by David Walliams too! They included one for me, one for the collection and two for the actual charity I'm collecting for. {??})
• Emma Thompson (authentic - a note and autograph for me too. {??})
• Darren Shan (authentic - and note for me too. {??})
• Donald Trump (authentic)
• Michael Sheen (authentic)
• David Attenborough (authentic)

Since I left the complete list of the people I have written to in a folder at home, I'm afraid you'll have to make do with the first list I compiled! I have written to eighty-four celebrities to date, so excuse any who are missing.

Ewan McGregor, David Tennant, Emma Thompson, Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Robert Pattinson, Catherine Tate, Pierce Brosnan, Sean Connery, Andy Murray, Dara O'Brien, Simon Cowell, Simon Pegg, David Beckham, Daniel Craig, Colin Firth, Dawn French, Robert Carlyle, Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Jame McAvoy, Peter Capaldi, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Paul McCartney, Susan Boyle, Fearne Cotton, Sharon & Ozzy Osbourne, Ronnie Corbert, Helena Bonham Carter, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, Robbie Coltrane, Rolf Harris, Gerard Butler, Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry, Timothy Spall, Donald Trump, James Galway, Kylie Minogue, David Attenborough, David Walliams, Peter Kay, Gordon Ramsey, Graham Norton, Lewis Hamilton, Ricky Gervais, Robbie Williams, Michael McIntyre, Harry Hill, Jonathan Ross, Victoria Beckham, Michael Palin, Matt Lucas, Rory McGrath, Annie Lennox, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, Gary Larson, Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner, Jackson Rathbone, Peter Facinelli, JK Rowling, Anthony Horowitz, Michael Morpurgo, Darren Shan, Becca Fitzpatrick, plus many, many more that I'll try and include when I find the list - sorry!

Any help you can give me, or any advice concerning how I should go about selling these items (I know that it will be on Ebay.) will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
myth
tansk1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: In need of some charity autograph auctioning advice ...

Post by tansk1 »

You will have better results selling them individually, however it is a lot more work to do individual listings than it would be to sell them as a lot. Although some of the bigger names you could do individually and then try to group the lesser ones into a lot.

Or you can use a UACC dealer and consign your items, they will do all the work for you and if you explain it is for charity they will give you a much lower commission rate.

Good luck!
myth
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: In need of some charity autograph auctioning advice ...

Post by myth »

Thank you very much for the pointers: I'll definitely keep them in mind. :)