People Should Be Banned When They Do This!

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
dfreely
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: People Should Be Banned When They Do This!

Post by dfreely »

I ended up talking to one of my friends yesterday who runs phpBB on one of his sites, and naturally the topic of spam came up. Interestingly enough, he says spam isn't an issue for him, and that CAPTCHA is included in phpBB as spam prevention. I found that interesting because CAPTCHA was the spam prevention method that the majority of people suggested we use - why would we keep suggesting it if we already have it? So I went to the registration page, turns out, CAPTCHA is turned off. So apparently, this forum does have spam protection, it's just turned off.
khackdrums wrote:
bbgotfame wrote:if u ban there ip address they can buy another computer and spam again :/ or use library computers
It's much easier than buying a new computer or switching to another computer. I just manually switched the IP address of the computer I'm using right now and it took me 30 seconds.
Ditto. Most people don't have a dedicated IP address, so you could essentially get a new one each time you sign online.
dobie516

Post by dobie516 »

The spam problem seems to run in cycles. We get a bunch at once and then none for a while. I delete every one that I see, but it still keeps popping up. If you see any, just report it to a mod and they will take care of it.
Over 9,000 requests sent since 1986.
RobertaRight
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by RobertaRight »

I have reported 3 today myself, and I do not want to be bothersome with report PMs anymore :lol:

But they are annoying. Very!

Every time I click "view new posts" I get almost one full page of garbage.
"Life is just a series of dammits." (Alan Rickman)
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by osiris »

ursha wrote:
RYAN J. wrote:I just ignore the spam posts to be honest, just click and the 'view new posts' button and scroll past them all. {up}
In my opinion that's not something TM should be proud of...
:? Definitely not.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Favourite: David Tennant IP, John Barrowman IP, Patrick Stewart IP, Catherine Tate VV.
Newest: John Simm IP, Suranne Jones IP, Jonathan Groff IP.
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

ursha wrote:
RYAN J. wrote:I just ignore the spam posts to be honest, just click and the 'view new posts' button and scroll past them all. {up}
In my opinion that's not something TM should be proud of...
I'm not proud of it by any means, but ever since I've become a TM my account never got fully activated. I can't move, edit or delete anything like I should be able to. I've contacted Admin about it several times, but have not gotten an answer back. So there's nothing I can do about the Spam. Sorry.

RYAN J. 8)
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by osiris »

RYAN J. wrote: I'm not proud of it by any means, but ever since I've become a TM my account never got fully activated. I can't move, edit or delete anything like I should be able to. I've contacted Admin about it several times, but have not gotten an answer back. So there's nothing I can do about the Spam. Sorry.

RYAN J. 8)
I'll contact Admin again.

In the mean time, make sure you flag the post as spam, don't just ignore it {up}
Favourite: David Tennant IP, John Barrowman IP, Patrick Stewart IP, Catherine Tate VV.
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

I have been flagging it! {up}

RYAN J. 8)
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by osiris »

Apparently no TMs can edit or move topics now. Not sure why, but thems the rules apparently! Also, CAPTCHA was enabled this morning, so Admin says.
RobertaRight
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by RobertaRight »

That was good news! :)
"Life is just a series of dammits." (Alan Rickman)
osiris
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by osiris »

I've just checked and we do indeed have CAPTCHA. Hopefully spam will be cut down a lot now, as many spam bots get blocked by these. Well continue to remove the posts that are currently on the board.