Question: Colin Firth Autos, Authentic or Secretarial?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
cdlawlor
$10 gift certificate winner

Question: Colin Firth Autos, Authentic or Secretarial?

Post by cdlawlor »

Admin please post this in the correct category as I'm not sure where this post would be appropriate.

Recently, I've read on other sites that his autos coming back could be secretarial, just wondering what others think? I've received one myself and would like to know others opinion.

Thanks!
All of my autographs can also be found on my website: http://celebrityautographsuccess.com/
FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Question: Colin Firth Autos, Authentic or Secretarial?

Post by FCM »

I looked at past successes people have had with him, and they seem to be fake. I thought they were real at first, with how the movements aren't too jerky to be an autopen and how he personalized them. That made me assume that if it was personalized, it was authentic, for a secretary can learn the signature, but when does he/she learn the font? Apparently, this one can. Either it's a smooth autopen or a smart secretary, but the thing that is really suspicious is that they come back so quickly for everyone. My Josh Gad autograph (which I used a vv address on) took around six months, and my pre-print from Harrison Ford three months. My fake Ginnifer Goodwin autograph took only one-and-a-half months, which was too quick, as well as too good to be true. Some have had a "success" with Colin Firth in two weeks. They get their successes separately, as if Colin Firth was always around to sign. Normally, people are given a batch that stacked over time. That is what happened with Kathryn Beaumont and Domhnall Gleeson recently. Also, I've seen some autographs of his in blue ink, which means it could be an autopen or stamp. (You don't use blue Sharpies every day.)

So with the little time it takes and that there have been blue autographs, I don't think they're real. They also could have just had a smooth autopen. Sorry! :(
I love hearing others' opinions! However, before you start commenting, please read this carefully: I welcome opinions but will not obey orders and suggestions. So, please don't say, "Toss that in the trash," or, "Frame the autograph right away," etc. I understand that you're sharing what you'd do, but you can't make me do what you order--what I received in the mail is mine, not yours.

Morphindel
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Morphindel »

Best bet is to check with authentic examples online. Sites like Mike the Fanboy are all authentic and though they are usually from premieres - meaning they might be more hastily written - you can usually use it as a basis as to what the main characteristics of the sigs are. Having a short turnaround time is not necessarily indicative of it being fake. Some people just like to sign. My Judi Dench arrived after about a week of asking via email, and my most recent VV success from Noomi Rapace took only 2 weeks. As did my authentic Sophie Turner via her agency when she was still signing.
Recent Successes:
Jessica Chastain, Saoirse Ronan!<3 (TTM), Uzo Aduba, Laura Carmichael & Zawe Ashton (ip), Jane Horrocks, Gemma Arterton, Jim Broadbent, Lucy Liu, Christina Ricci, Andres Muschietti, Bill Skarsgard, and the cast of IT, Ian McKellen, Noomi Rapace (VV), MST3K/Rifftrax main cast (Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy), Geddy Lee (ip)
Shana Leonne
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shana Leonne »

FCM wrote:Also, I've seen some autographs of his in blue ink, which means it could be an autopen or stamp. (You don't use blue Sharpies every day.)
Let me get this straight, you're basing authenticity on the colour of a pen he used? I didn't realise there was a law that celebrities absolutely MUST use a black pen! The colour of the pen is irrelevant in this debate lol :lol:
FCM
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by FCM »

Shana Leonne wrote:
FCM wrote:Also, I've seen some autographs of his in blue ink, which means it could be an autopen or stamp. (You don't use blue Sharpies every day.)
Let me get this straight, you're basing authenticity on the colour of a pen he used? I didn't realise there was a law that celebrities absolutely MUST use a black pen! The colour of the pen is irrelevant in this debate lol :lol:
Okay, okay, that's not the best support that it's not real, but I have read about it before. There is not a "law that celebrities absolutely MUST use a black pen" ;sometimes they do use gel ones. I got Simone Biles's autograph, and she purposely did it in gold. No, I am not "basing" the authenticity on that. My main point was that it's suspicious that you'd get a reply so soon at any time. That could happen with someone old and retired, but even William Phipps, who voiced Prince Charming and is in his nineties, takes more than a month. So Colin Firth doing two weeks?! I don't think so.

The color was not my main point; just a backup statement. You don't have to go around correcting. :neutral:
I love hearing others' opinions! However, before you start commenting, please read this carefully: I welcome opinions but will not obey orders and suggestions. So, please don't say, "Toss that in the trash," or, "Frame the autograph right away," etc. I understand that you're sharing what you'd do, but you can't make me do what you order--what I received in the mail is mine, not yours.

Shana Leonne
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shana Leonne »

FCM wrote:The color was not my main point; just a backup statement. You don't have to go around correcting. :neutral:
That statement just amused me is all {up}
cdlawlor

Post by cdlawlor »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I read on Mikes (mikethefanboy) page that they could be secretarial which is what made me look into it further and it does appear that they are not authentic.
All of my autographs can also be found on my website: http://celebrityautographsuccess.com/