How specific are you when you ask them to personalize?

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Gomez1234
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

How specific are you when you ask them to personalize?

Post by Gomez1234 »

Just curious about this.

When asking for an autograph how specific have you ever gotten in regards to what they write? I can see asking them to sign it to someone else or send a birthday greeting (I’ve done similar) but I don’t think I’d specifically tell them what to write. I may have something I hope they would write but I’d rather have them choose even if it’s something they write on everyone's pictures.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever asked for anything specific and, if so, what?
Currently have: Katie Sackhoff, David Copperfield, Betty White, Fran Drescher, Carly Rae Jepsen (Cinderella playbill with cast), Mike Rowe (Eagle Scout letter), Jay Leno, Barbara Eden, Laker Girls, Jaqueline Bisset, Sophia Loren, Ann Coulter, Lani Minella, Lynda Carter, Edward James Olmos, Chuck Norris, Scorpion cast, Joanna Cameron, Weird Al Yankovick, Harry Dean Stanton, Veronica Cartwright, Rachel Nichols, Honor Blackman, Teri Garr, George R.R. Martin, Mindy Robinson, Tom Skerritt, Natalie Skyy, Penn and Teller, Paula Labaredas, Laura Hall, Jeri Ryan, Charlotte McKinney, Sandahl Bergman, Jaclyn Smith, Julie Adams, Mary Costa, Jane Seymour, Nancy Kovack.

Assorted cheerleader squads: Laker Girls, Indianapolis Colts, N.Y. Knick Dancers, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Stars, Milwaukee Bucks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami HEAT Dancers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
cassysj
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: How specific are you when you ask them to personalize?

Post by cassysj »

When I meet people at conventions or autograph shows they sometimes ask me what I want them to write on it. I always leave it up to them even if I only like them from one movie.
Computer Gary
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Computer Gary »

When Morton Downey Jr. did a book signing at Macy's in New York in 1988, I asked him to sign it "From your role model." He said "I don't want to be a role model" and wrote something else. He wasn't really my role model, but I liked to tell people that he was in order to shock them. Unfortunately, I was too starstruck to have the presence of mind to explain that to him. He still might have refused the inscription, but he might have felt better about knowing he wasn't really my role model. (For those who don't know, Mort was Jerry Springer before there was Jerry Springer.)

Instead of "From your role model," he wrote: "To Gary, from your pal who will always be there. Your buddy, Mort."
NatashaH
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by NatashaH »

I've never asked anyone to personalize. I like to see if they will do it on their own.
peterson8723
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by peterson8723 »

I ask them to personalize it to me. I don't ask for a specific inscription, but I do like to have them personalize it. I go on in my LOR to say that I'm asking for a personalization so they can be sure I'm not going to sell the Autograph later on. Some celeb's really don't like it when they see their Autographs are being sold on Ebay or something. If there is a personalization, it certainly isn't worth as much, if anything. I guess I feel they would be more inclined to sign for me if they know it's only for my personal collection and not something to make money from. They might figure I'm more of a fan of theirs, rather than a dealer. Also, I get a kick out of seeing my name next to a Celeb's Autograph. Alex Trebek wrote "The Answer is, RANDY." I thought that was neat.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

If it's a mailed-in request, I usually ask them to personalize. If it's a in-person, I don't because I know other people are also trying to get a signature and the faster they get done with me, the more likely other people can get an autograph.

As for value ... it depends. Personalized photos, even not to the recipient, still sell. It all depends on who the person is. If the celebrity is deceased and you need their signature, you may decide to get one regardless of the inscription. If all fails, I'll buy a dedicated photo, but I prefer the ones made out to a school or a business.

As well, having an inscription means there's more of a person's handwriting to determine whether or not the signature is that of the celebrity, if you didn't get the photo yourself.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
peterson8723
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by peterson8723 »

As well, having an inscription means there's more of a person's handwriting to determine whether or not the signature is that of the celebrity, if you didn't get the photo yourself.[/quote]

That's a very good point. I never thought of that
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by goswannies »

In books I often ask them to make it out to me. I've occasionally asked them to write happy birthday. I once asked Hugh Laurie to write something specific on a photo as it related to his movie and to me and my parner. He opted to write someone that was slightly different along the same theme (but better!).

If I've got something signed for somone else I'll suggest what I'd like them to write
Gomez1234
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Gomez1234 »

peterson8723 wrote:As well, having an inscription means there's more of a person's handwriting to determine whether or not the signature is that of the celebrity, if you didn't get the photo yourself.

That's a very good point. I never thought of that

I agree. Hadn't thought of that either.
Currently have: Katie Sackhoff, David Copperfield, Betty White, Fran Drescher, Carly Rae Jepsen (Cinderella playbill with cast), Mike Rowe (Eagle Scout letter), Jay Leno, Barbara Eden, Laker Girls, Jaqueline Bisset, Sophia Loren, Ann Coulter, Lani Minella, Lynda Carter, Edward James Olmos, Chuck Norris, Scorpion cast, Joanna Cameron, Weird Al Yankovick, Harry Dean Stanton, Veronica Cartwright, Rachel Nichols, Honor Blackman, Teri Garr, George R.R. Martin, Mindy Robinson, Tom Skerritt, Natalie Skyy, Penn and Teller, Paula Labaredas, Laura Hall, Jeri Ryan, Charlotte McKinney, Sandahl Bergman, Jaclyn Smith, Julie Adams, Mary Costa, Jane Seymour, Nancy Kovack.

Assorted cheerleader squads: Laker Girls, Indianapolis Colts, N.Y. Knick Dancers, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Stars, Milwaukee Bucks, Baltimore Ravens, Miami HEAT Dancers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.