how many stamps

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
biggestellefan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

how many stamps

Post by biggestellefan »

I think I may be using more stamps than I need. I use one of those cardboard photomailers as my SASE and it works with 3 stamps, but do you think 2 would be enough? I'm sure 2 would be good for a paper envelope but this one is sturdier and a bit heavier.
Leigh
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Leigh »

I'd stick with 3.
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

This is going to be a bit vague because I don't really know what you mean by a cardboard photomailer.
But, if you live in the UK, then one first class stamp covers 60g worth. If you weigh the cardboard envelope and work out vaguely how much it'll weigh to send back, then that should give you an idea of how many you need.
Leigh
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Leigh »

barmy_army, do you know roughly how much you can cram into an envelope just using 1 first class stamp? IE in terms of an sase and how many pics?
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

Having just tried it now, i'd say that an A5 photo, a SAE and a letter weighs around 40g (give or take a few as its on a very cheap set of kitchen scales). Based on that i'd say you could probably get away with 2, maybe 3 photos, along with the rest, using a first class stamp.

But, theres this little weighing device which I got a while back which would be useful for this kind of thing. The website says its out of stock, but i'll post the link anyway and you can maybe get one at some point when they get some in stock. Its free, which is cool.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... Id=4200010
Leigh
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Leigh »

Very cool thanks a lot that will come in handy in the future. I always assumed 1 first class stamp covered basically a letter so when sending things like cd covers i'd use 3 stamps to be safe lol, i'm so innocent and naiive haha!
Terri_Loves_Usher
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Terri_Loves_Usher »

You can go into the post office and say to them that you want to send your letter first class but to weigh it first. I sent a letter once with a letter and a C.d cover but it was still fine to send one first class stamp.
xx..(``v``)..x..Terri..x..4..x..Usher..x..(``v``)..xx
jonathan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jonathan »

Within the UK Ive never had trouble sending an A4 envelope with two A4 Pics inside with letter and A4 return envelope with a 2nd class stamp.
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

I think that one second class stamp will cover the same weight as a first class one, but it won't get there as quickly.

2nd Class - Within 3 working days
1st Class - Next working day
jonathan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jonathan »

thats the theory, but not these days. royal mail have even admitted they can no longer guarantee the next day delivery for 9p more on a 1st class stamo and even they suggest using 2nd class which generall takes 2 days without fail. As from next year the monopoly is lifted and rival companies cans et up to offer mail delivery services. that shuld be interesting.