BUYING AUTOGRAPHS-BAD NEWS

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
michaelchester
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

BUYING AUTOGRAPHS-BAD NEWS

Post by michaelchester »

I have been collecting autographs for about 3 years and I keep a record of every single address used. I keep a record of Return To Sender of celebrities who don’t sign autographs through the mail, of those celebrities who charge for autographs.
I recently viewed my records and noticed a drastic change, my autographs returned with signatures by celebrities have increased by 45%, my Return To Sender have decreased by 15%, but the letters from agents of celebrities who refused or charge for autographs have increased by 35%.
So I reviewed the letters I received from these agents and found that the celebrities refused to sign due to their autographs being sold on line and those who charge for their autographs do so now due to the increase of their autographs being sold online.
Now to me autograph collecting is a hobby not a business, also if you purchase and autograph I can understand buying from the celebrity if you can afford it some go from $25.00 to as much as $259.00 yah that’s a lot. But if you can afford buying from a celebrity I say GO FOR IT.
But if you buy from online you have to ask yourself are the signatures authentic, where the photos reproduced and signatures copied, how do you really know, yah they look real but you know as well as I do they can be easily reproduced.
I am sure those who sell autographs online will voice a harsh and rude remarks but that ok I know what kind of individuals they are, they’re not collectors they are in it for profit and they have cause a lot of harm and made it difficult for true collectors.
In conclusion, buy ONLY form the celebrities and BUYER BEWARE when you buy from online individuals.
KEEP ON COLLECTING THE HOBBY IS WORTH IT.
tardis2006johnb

Re: BUYING AUTOGRAPHS-BAD NEWS

Post by tardis2006johnb »

Good/smart words to live by michaelchester,
I've been fortunate to have been in this hobby long enough, 45+ years and counting, that I NEVER had to pay for a celebrities autograph. EVERY autograph I've obtained in person. This bogus thing with this so-called authentication is a HUGE joke to me. I dare someone tell me if my autograph is real or not when I was the one who got the graph in person and they weren't even there to witness it. Honestly, the way this hobby has changed, do something else. That is like michaelchester said if you are a rich.
botaz007
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by botaz007 »

I totally agree with you, and nothing more pleasant than to receive a celebrity rest with his name in the photo and often a nice note with it.
michaelchester
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by michaelchester »

tardis2006johnb wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:36 pm Good/smart words to live by michaelchester,
I've been fortunate to have been in this hobby long enough, 45+ years and counting, that I NEVER had to pay for a celebrities autograph. EVERY autograph I've obtained in person. This bogus thing with this so-called authentication is a HUGE joke to me. I dare someone tell me if my autograph is real or not when I was the one who got the graph in person and they weren't even there to witness it. Honestly, the way this hobby has changed, do something else. That is like michaelchester said if you are a rich.
Dude 45 plus years wow you must have some really awesome autographs a real serious collector thumbs up
michaelchester
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by michaelchester »

botaz007 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:48 pm I totally agree with you, and nothing more pleasant than to receive a celebrity rest with his name in the photo and often a nice note with it.
totaly agree-granted you have to be very very patient but the reward is worth it for collectors-I think the longest wait was 2 years 1 month and 5 days and that was with 3 attempts lol and the enclosed notes if your lucky to get one makes it the cream of the crop really makes you feel closer to the celebrity
D221
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by D221 »

it is mind boggling to me why anyone would pay for an autograph on ebay, I have paid for autographs in person like if I am at a concert and they are selling autographed merchandise from the band or through the official website, but just some random person? and as we all know PSA or COA is practically worthless, maybe PSA is a little more credibile but I do not trust them
tardis2006johnb

Post by tardis2006johnb »

D221,
Though I too really don't buy/trust getting autographs from ebay, at least you can buy them at a more decent price than just obtaining them at some autograph show. Fortunately, like I mentioned, I've been doing this for so long that I do feel confidant/comfortable that I can spot a forgery/secretarial/autopen and a preprint. Also autographing so close to Hollywood/LA for so long I have gotten familiar with all the ebayer sellers around here thus I know what they sell is real. We do both agree however that ALL authentication is bogus.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:37 am.