Autographs from the deceased

You can also post suggestions, comments to the fanmail.biz database managers here. Do not post your feedback here. Do not request a celebrity address here.
Johnny's Fan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Autographs from the deceased

Post by Johnny's Fan »

I was wondering if anyone had any autographs that they had actually received from someone, and then weeks, months, years later that person passed away?

I've not had that happen luckily, but I was wondering how I would feel if someone who had taken time to sign my pictures or maybe even write me a little note, passed away. I think I would feel quite sad actually, because for a moment there was a connection between someone famous and their fan, and although it's always sad when one of my favourites dies, I think it would be even worse if they'd signed something for me.

But at the same time, at least I'd have a little something to remember them by.
JWLJN
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Autographs from the deceased

Post by JWLJN »

I have numerous wrestlers that I got IP that have passed away.

I've had monetary offers for some of them, but I'd never part with them...or any of my autographs for that matter.

Eddy Guerrero, Chris Candido, Ernie Ladd, "Playboy" Gary Hart...but the one that means the most to me..."Sensational" Sherri Martel.

She signed an 8x10 of us together to me and inscribed "See You Again, Soon!" the first time I met her. I know others who got their 8x10s with her signed that day as well, and they did not get that inscription.

I did indeed meet with her again the following year. Two months after that, she was gone.

All in all I believe I have four signed items from her, and I treasure them all.

-J\/\/
zipbags

Post by zipbags »

I heard Paul Newman had been a much better signer TTM over the past couple of years. So I sent him a blank 3x5 card. And a month later I got it back signed. 2 weeks after I received it back...He passed.

I have a few autos that I have gotten TTM or have met at various shows and then the actor died later.
AutoHound
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by AutoHound »

A member of this site who was a good friend of Sandy Allen arranged for me to have her autograph. The postmark on the envelope is dated 8 days before she passed away. It's quite possibly the last one she signed. She's not a huge celebrity, but she was such a sweet woman with an amazing spirit considering all the bullying and negative experiences she had to put up with in her life, just for being different. That's why it means so much to my collection. It's not about the dollar value...

On that note, I have several others in my collection who've passed on, but not close to when I received the autograph. Millvina Dean and Enda Parker to name a few.
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

No one here will have heard of him, but Johnny Warren was/is Australia's greatest ever soccer player, and was instrumental in trying to bring the game into the mainstream here. After an Adelaide match one day, me and my dad went into the stadium bar after the match where the players sometimes go afterward to talk with fans. Little did I know that Johnny Warren was there! I was only 12, so I did not know what to say, but luckily I had a pad on me for some reason, and he gladly signed a bit of paper, inscribed it "to my mate James" . Within half a year, he died of lung cancer
nowandagain

Post by nowandagain »

Jaffer wrote:No one here will have heard of him, but Johnny Warren was/is Australia's greatest ever soccer player, and was instrumental in trying to bring the game into the mainstream here.
I've heard of him ... probably because I'm from Australia [au].

Anyway, my only autograph from a deceased person would be Charles 'Bud' Tingwell. He was such a great Australian actor but unfortunately, recently passed away. He is missed dearly. RIP.

nowandagain {??}
x-Jen-x
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by x-Jen-x »

Hiya,

I haven't got any autographs of deceased, no.

But one autograph I would love from a star that is not alive would be Judy Garland.

Jen :D
Classikmetal
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Classikmetal »

Let's see...here is who I have. I'm pretty sure there are more, but i'm too lazy to look through all of my autographs.

George Kell
Porter Wagoner
Don Lafontaine
Billy Powell (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Donald 'Ean' Evans (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
Hughie Thomasson (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

All Skynyrd members are on the same cd booklet...
Moridin
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Moridin »

i have quite a bit that i've received ttm and then they died (not counting ones i've bought of already dead people). It's sad but it happens quite a bit if you've been collecting for an extended period of time (6.5 years here, and that doesn't compare to people who have been collecting since the 70s).
margotchanning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by margotchanning »

Yes several and I'm so glad that I got these autographs before the celebs passed away. Some are my favourites and I'm glad I didn't have to purchase them as that's so impersonal!

Bea Arthur - Golden Girls is my favourite tv show ever so I'm glad I got her ttm.

Kathy Staff - signed and personalised. I'm so glad I got this. She was a wonderful actress!

Wendy Richard - Another veteren uk actress.