Do you have to include a photo with your SASE?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
JoeCox1990
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Do you have to include a photo with your SASE?

Post by JoeCox1990 »

Hi guys!

Joe Cox here, a freshman autograph collector. Well I learned something the hard way recently: Not all agencies provide photos of the celeb. If you've seen my post about Lauren Lapkus and how I might've failed with that particular fanmail address, not the case. Actually, what happened was I sent them a SASE and LOR back in December, and recently (last week) decided to call up her talent agency (Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment). They said they didn't have anything in her pile from me, and the guy on the other end of the line was very nice and said for me to try again and send a photo this time. What a nice guy.

Well, I guess my point is, do you have to include a photo with your SASE? BTW, the guy at Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment told me that they don't have photos of her already there to send back.

Again, it's my first time doing this so please be gentle with me.

Thanks.

-Joe Cox
kimmylee
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Do you have to include a photo with your SASE?

Post by kimmylee »

There are no rules with fanmail, it's down to personal preference. I always send a picture because that is my preference. I find it unusual your celebs agency doesn't provide them for the star you wanted, especially as she seems quite well known.
NO LONGER ACTIVE
JoeCox1990
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by JoeCox1990 »

Yeah Kimmy that's really weird that they didn't have any photos. :? Ah well, better follow the guy's recommendation to send a photo and see what happens! Fingers crossed.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

Make things easy on them: ALWAYS include a photo with your LOR. You're asking them for a favor, and printing up photos costs money. This way they can open up your envelope, read your letter (or not), sign your photo or whatever you send them, then put it back in your SASE. It's a lot faster. Depending on the celebrity, they may not have photos of themselves, and this way too, you can get the photo (or other item) YOU want signed, rather than a headshot or something you don't like just because they had it lying around.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Münchausen
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by Münchausen »

I used to be in the same boat as you... I would never include a photo and my success rate was somewhere around 5%. Now I always include two photos (one horizontal and one vertical, for display preference) and my success rate is around 60%. It truly makes all the difference! :)
TTM: Tim Allen, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Peter Capaldi, John Carpenter, Nick Castle, Henry Cavill, Hayden Christensen, Sean Connery (possibly secretarial), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charlie Cox, Courteney Cox, Daniel Craig, Bryan Cranston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Judi Dench, Peter Dinklage, Christopher Eccleston, Aaron Eckhart, Jesse Eisenberg, Robert Englund, Dane Farwell, Noel Gallagher, Walton Goggins, Michael C. Hall, Mark Hamill, Tom Hardy, Freddie Highmore, John Hurt, Jeremy Irons, Val Kilmer, George Lazenby, Andrew Lincoln, Brad Loree, Matthew McConaughey, Ben Mendelsohn, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Momoa, Roger Moore, Daniel Radcliffe, Tim Roth, Matt Ryan, Taylor Schilling, Tony Shalhoub, Don Shanks, Christian Slater, Matt Smith, Ringo Starr, David Tennant, Billy Bob Thornton, Christoph Waltz, Adam West, and George P. Wilbur.
Sun Devil
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Sun Devil »

JoeCox1990 wrote:Hi guys!

Joe Cox here, a freshman autograph collector. Well I learned something the hard way recently: Not all agencies provide photos of the celeb. If you've seen my post about Lauren Lapkus and how I might've failed with that particular fanmail address, not the case. Actually, what happened was I sent them a SASE and LOR back in December, and recently (last week) decided to call up her talent agency (Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment). They said they didn't have anything in her pile from me, and the guy on the other end of the line was very nice and said for me to try again and send a photo this time. What a nice guy.

Well, I guess my point is, do you have to include a photo with your SASE? BTW, the guy at Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment told me that they don't have photos of her already there to send back.

Again, it's my first time doing this so please be gentle with me.

Thanks.

-Joe Cox
Joe- Were you successful with the address of Odenkirk Provissiero Ent?

Thanks,

Mike
JoeCox1990
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by JoeCox1990 »

Hey Mike. I haven't tried in a while because my first time was a failure but I think I'm going to try again (this time with at least two photos to get signed) possibly in September.

Thanks.

-Joe Cox
goswannies
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by goswannies »

ALWAYS send a photo! It costs not very much for you to print it. Costs them a fortune toot ivied their own for everyone writing to them. If they want to include their own photo when they reply, it's s bonus (& they sometimes do)