Seeking Autographs from the US to the UK, Need Postage Help?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
m4catky
$10 gift certificate winner

Seeking Autographs from the US to the UK, Need Postage Help?

Post by m4catky »

From the US, seeking to send a few 8x10 photos to the UK in hopes for an autograph back. Maybe 2-4 photos maximum I want to ship.

What will be required for my return self-addressed stamped envelope from the UK back to the US? I'd like to specifically know the correct envelopes depending on how letters/parcels are classified, specific stamps to buy and any necessary customs forms. I am absolutely clueless about the Royal Mail system. Using shipping labels on the return worries me about expiring before the time a celebrity gets a chance to sign for me and won't get the items back.

I have read previous threads here and other websites addressing this information. None exactly describing my concerns. So many different answers from various sources. Please tell me the process has worked for you. References on where to buy stamps that others have posted here are unavailable options here in the US so EBAY seems to be where I have to go get the correct ones. Thank you all!
MattWolf76
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Seeking Autographs from the US to the UK, Need Postage Help?

Post by MattWolf76 »

I have the same question, but the opposite way around as I want to send from the UK to the USA with prepaid stamped addressed envelope enclosed.

Not 100% how helpful this will be, but I tend to use 2x first class stamps on SAE within the UK. Within the UK I only send 8x10 photos, in a large Jiffy bag and enclose a photo envelope mailer with my address and the stamps attached. If that makes sense.
Royal Mail changed their pay structure a while ago, as it now goes on envelope size (width, length and height), along with weight.
I’m UK based and can purchase stamps directly from their website, so don’t know whether you can do that or not overseas?
I’ve had a guess of approximate weight and size (used 180grams), and the website suggests £4.19 postage (UK to USA). I’d always pay in stamps over that amount, just in case they pop something in or randomly charges increase whilst waiting for it to be returned.
If you purchase stamps from their website it would the way to go.

You can purchase postage online, specific to your weight and size of envelope, print and attach it to your envelope. Which would be perfect. BUT these seem to have an expiry date, and must be used by a set date (bit of a con having a short expiry, if you ask me). I appreciate it’s not a defined answer, but hopefully it will give you a steer on what you could expect to pay in return postage.
m4catky

Post by m4catky »

MattWolf76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:59 pm I have the same question, but the opposite way around as I want to send from the UK to the USA with prepaid stamped addressed envelope enclosed.

Not 100% how helpful this will be, but I tend to use 2x first class stamps on SAE within the UK. Within the UK I only send 8x10 photos, in a large Jiffy bag and enclose a photo envelope mailer with my address and the stamps attached. If that makes sense.
Royal Mail changed their pay structure a while ago, as it now goes on envelope size (width, length and height), along with weight.
I’m UK based and can purchase stamps directly from their website, so don’t know whether you can do that or not overseas?
I’ve had a guess of approximate weight and size (used 180grams), and the website suggests £4.19 postage (UK to USA). I’d always pay in stamps over that amount, just in case they pop something in or randomly charges increase whilst waiting for it to be returned.
If you purchase stamps from their website it would the way to go.

You can purchase postage online, specific to your weight and size of envelope, print and attach it to your envelope. Which would be perfect. BUT these seem to have an expiry date, and must be used by a set date (bit of a con having a short expiry, if you ask me). I appreciate it’s not a defined answer, but hopefully it will give you a steer on what you could expect to pay in return postage.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. It's always great to hear the perspective from others in the know in this hobby. This link may be helpful for you if you are still looking for information on your return from the US back to the UK.

https://nanagram.co/blog/postage-to-united-kingdom/ This site has been life saver for me starting out. Hope it will be able to help you too.
MattWolf76
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by MattWolf76 »

Hi, no worries. I hope the information helped, and gave you a steer.
I’ve looked at the USPS Global Stamps, and their website don’t ship to the UK. I’ve done various internet searches, and not found anyone in the UK who sells them. So, it’s kinda stumping me at the moment.
m4catky

Post by m4catky »

MattWolf76 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:09 pm Hi, no worries. I hope the information helped, and gave you a steer.
I’ve looked at the USPS Global Stamps, and their website don’t ship to the UK. I’ve done various internet searches, and not found anyone in the UK who sells them. So, it’s kinda stumping me at the moment.
These are the Global Forever Stamps that I used in October to Canada. Still waiting my return but nothing has been RTS yet. I haven't found a seller in the UK that sells these but on this ebay listing, the individual seller does list he ships to the UK. May be worth a try. There's an option for purchasing individual stamps from other sellers if you know exactly how many you'll need. Hopefully this will help you out. My experience internationally isn't much but was recommended in my FB group to buy these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-10-US-Post ... GTR=1#shId