Photographs - pro's and cons?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Bluey71
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Photographs - pro's and cons?

Post by Bluey71 »

Hello all,

I am very new to collecting, so new that the next request I send will be my first.

My question is about the photographs you send to get signed, specifically regarding copyright. Does anyone have an opinion re taking pictures off Google images for example, and sending those to be signed? Is it something everybody does or, do most collectors not send photos but request a signed photograph instead?

Any opinions and thoughts would be most helpful.

Thanks, Bluey.
SimpleMan
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Photographs - pro's and cons?

Post by SimpleMan »

From what I have seen here, a lot of people take high resolution images from google, print them and send those. If you are worried about the copyright, you can try other sites that host "free" images you can download, though these will usually have a big watermark on them. Good luck!
Contact me if you are looking to buy USA Stamps or 4 x 6 high resolution glossy photos of your favorite stars.
Bluey71
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Bluey71 »

SimpleMan wrote:From what I have seen here, a lot of people take high resolution images from google, print them and send those. If you are worried about the copyright, you can try other sites that host "free" images you can download, though these will usually have a big watermark on them. Good luck!
Thanks for the comment SimpleMan. I think that is what I will do, I already have a selection of pictures off Google images.
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Hartster »

All photos except ones specifically marked as public domain belong to the person who took the photo. Chances are, you won't get stopped. But legally, places can refuse to print the photos unless you have a release from the photographer or can prove they're public domain. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's free to get printed.

And no, it doesn't matter if it's for personal use. 'Fair use' is something different.

I look for and buy press photos or lithographs to get signed.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Bluey71
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Bluey71 »

Hartster wrote:I look for and buy press photos or lithographs to get signed.
Hi Hartster, thanks for your reply. Is there any chance you could share your source's for lithographs please?

Thanks, Bluey.