Best plastic pages/sleeves?

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
Hartster
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Best plastic pages/sleeves?

Post by Hartster »

Münchausen wrote: No problem, I hope I was able to help! Unfortunately, several of my signatures ended up sticking to the plastic sleeve and peeling off. It was horrible...
Sharpie or metallic/paint pen? I have sleeves from all manufacturers and I've never had a problem with Sharpies sticking to sleeves.

As for overkill, Sharpies will fade over time - doesn't matter if they say they're permanent. Older Sharpies leave a yellow "halo" either around the signature or on back of the photo.

Permanence, too, depends on the photo being signed. Black and white photos generally are more stable. Color photos will eventually fade as well, unless you want to get them printed on archival paper as well (which I've never done, so I can't speak for how well or not they hold up.)

Yes, I protect my autographed photos. But they're not going to last forever. So I just sleeve them, place them in a binder and call it a day.
Space enthusiast w/a Sharpie! Ex-journalist. Published in British Interplanetary Society's Spaceflight and National Geographic Traveler magazines; also NASA's Scientist-Astronauts, Freedom 7: The Historic Flight of Alan B. Shepard books and contributor to The Star Trek Encyclopedia: A Reference Guide to the Future and the A Matter of Time: The Unauthorized Back to the Future Lexicon among others. Follow me at @HBSastrowardoyo, check out my astronaut and other space travelers autograph collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/45855752@ ... 973452526/
Münchausen
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by Münchausen »

Yes, the biggest issue was with the metallic-based markers, but I have had zero issues since I switched to proper materials. Also, if you can get the photo(s) stored into archival sleeves quickly enough (I usually do it within one day of receiving the success in the mail), then virtually all of those problems can be averted. Personally, I now use acid-free sleeves, as well as acid-free cardstock, and I have yet to experience any fading, yellowing, or aging at all. Proper archival materials will even protect the photo from UV rays and dust, which is more than half the battle. In fact, scientists claim that a properly stored photo can last upwards of 200 years, which is enough time for your collection to be handed down to multiple generations of family :)
TTM: Tim Allen, Christian Bale, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Peter Capaldi, John Carpenter, Nick Castle, Henry Cavill, Hayden Christensen, Sean Connery (possibly secretarial), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charlie Cox, Courteney Cox, Daniel Craig, Bryan Cranston, Benedict Cumberbatch, Judi Dench, Peter Dinklage, Christopher Eccleston, Aaron Eckhart, Jesse Eisenberg, Robert Englund, Dane Farwell, Noel Gallagher, Walton Goggins, Michael C. Hall, Mark Hamill, Tom Hardy, Freddie Highmore, John Hurt, Jeremy Irons, Val Kilmer, George Lazenby, Andrew Lincoln, Brad Loree, Matthew McConaughey, Ben Mendelsohn, Mads Mikkelsen, Jason Momoa, Roger Moore, Daniel Radcliffe, Tim Roth, Matt Ryan, Taylor Schilling, Tony Shalhoub, Don Shanks, Christian Slater, Matt Smith, Ringo Starr, David Tennant, Billy Bob Thornton, Christoph Waltz, Adam West, and George P. Wilbur.
snooner
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by snooner »

You guys are amazing!!! It's so wonderful that you guys took the time to help me out!

I have gotten some autos that are already very special to me and my daughter, and I figure a little overkill may not be a bad thing to protect them.

I love the suggestion to store them "sideways." Wonderful idea.
And I contacted print file. They said autographs were safe to store in their pages.

You guys are the best! {up}

One more silly question if I could.. :wink: What do you think is the best way to protect a small signed drum head?

Thanks a million!!!!
RachelG
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by RachelG »

snooner wrote:You guys are amazing!!! It's so wonderful that you guys took the time to help me out!

I have gotten some autos that are already very special to me and my daughter, and I figure a little overkill may not be a bad thing to protect them.

I love the suggestion to store them "sideways." Wonderful idea.
And I contacted print file. They said autographs were safe to store in their pages.

You guys are the best! {up}

One more silly question if I could.. :wink: What do you think is the best way to protect a small signed drum head?

Thanks a million!!!!
If I were you I would actually send two seperate envolopes, because you can never be sure if both of them will get the letter. Then I would put the sase'sin both envolopes. Now if you just want to send one envolope I would recommend putting in two sase's.
-Allyson
Click on the picture to see my graphic shop!
Signature made by ME. Please do not steal.
If you would like a custom signature, please PM me.
Check out my own Graphics Shop to request your own custom
animated avatar and signature!