Authenticity Comments in Feedback

Have any ideas to improve the forum? Post them here!
1name1legend
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Authenticity Comments in Feedback

Post by 1name1legend »

pinkie wrote:I am not sure you read my request fully, it is not an impossible amendment.

I asked - "If a poster knows their reply is not authentic or the moderators know the reply is not authentic (where not stated), could they please add the appropriate tag to the title of the post."

As such, I am only asking for the tag to be added if known by the poster or a moderator. I am not saying everyone has to do this - that would be an impossible amendment. :)

I fully agree there is a separate forum to discuss authenticity, but it is all about common sense khackdrums. If by adding a simple word from time to time it can reduce the number of times that someone will "break the rules" and comment on authenticity, it actually reduces the workload of moderators, and helps provide a key piece of information to those who care.

This would make too much sense to be done.
SophieBooty
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by SophieBooty »

I think if people want opinions on their autos, they will ASK for them.

If they don't they either won't ask or they will specifically request for no opinions.

It's annoying if you get people judging an autograph they've never even seen.

Sophie {up}
1name1legend
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by 1name1legend »

They are many known PP, AP, Stamped and SEC out there. Why is it so wrong to inform OP and all users new and old of this??????

If I post a topic blah blah 100% authentic.... of a known and out right AP, PP, Stamped or SEC, you say it is kewl? ;-) because i said no comments on authenthic or the honor code of the forums.
autographfanno1
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by autographfanno1 »

What about if someone recieves an AP/PP and says "yay I got an authentic auto" or the sort.
Then we should be able to tell them that it's not authentic, as the poster has sort of opened a discussion about the authenticity.
ought-o-graugh
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ought-o-graugh »

autographfanno1 wrote:What about if someone recieves an AP/PP and says "yay I got an authentic auto" or the sort.
Then we should be able to tell them that it's not authentic, as the poster has sort of opened a discussion about the authenticity.
+1 on autographfanno1's comment. I think a case could be made that it's in that person's best interest, since they could go on to attempt to sell or trade what they think is a real auto, and end up in an embarrassing situation. The whole premise of this site is that it's a DISCUSSION board, and if someone is particularly thin-skinned, they will have just as much opportunity for hurt feelings here as they would in the real world. That being said, other posters should be mature, compassionate and discrete enough as to avoid unnecessarily raining on someone else's parade.
crystal815

Post by crystal815 »

My two cents (although they never matter on here anyway):
If someone ASKS for opinions, give it to them. If not, leave it alone. Obviously if someone gets an 'autograph' that is known to be PP, and claim that it is authentic, maybe someone should NICELY tell them. Otherwise, if someone is happy with what they have, let me them be happy! who cares!!
If you dont want to congratulate someone on a PP, AP, Sec....then dont. Pretty simple.

On another note, in the 'Is My Autograph Authentic?' forum.. I dont think it should be allowed to post someone else's success and ask if it is authentic. If they wanted to know, they would ask. And usually, if you want to know about authenticity, all you really have to do is a little WORK to search the board. Which is also, apparently something that is hard to do.
jrott
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jrott »

Sadly, this is a debate that true collectors will never win.
In my opinion, there are 2 categories
!) Memorabilia collecting (PP, AP, Sec, stamped)
2) Autograph collecting – Authentic

Since this site and most others class autograph collecting as all of the above, a true collector has to sort through the fakes and use his or her best judgment when requesting autographs.

As a true collector of autographs, I understand this and follow the rules of the forum and believe that all the true collectors here should also follow the rules. That being said, I do understand why this rule is hard for some to follow. True collectors want to preserve the integrity of AUTOGRAPH collecting
Until there is a website forum dedicated to real autograph collecting, we should follow the rules.
My biggest concern as a collector is how many of these fakes will end up on eBay being sold as real or offered in the trading/selling forum because the person selling / buying or trading for it is not educated or REFUSES to be educated
mufcdd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by mufcdd »

jrott wrote:Sadly, this is a debate that true collectors will never win.
In my opinion, there are 2 categories
!) Memorabilia collecting (PP, AP, Sec, stamped)
2) Autograph collecting – Authentic

Since this site and most others class autograph collecting as all of the above, a true collector has to sort through the fakes and use his or her best judgment when requesting autographs.

As a true collector of autographs, I understand this and follow the rules of the forum and believe that all the true collectors here should also follow the rules. That being said, I do understand why this rule is hard for some to follow. True collectors want to preserve the integrity of AUTOGRAPH collecting
Until there is a website forum dedicated to real autograph collecting, we should follow the rules.
My biggest concern as a collector is how many of these fakes will end up on eBay being sold as real or offered in the trading/selling forum because the person selling / buying or trading for it is not educated or REFUSES to be educated
I agree with all your points except for one, your statement of "Until there is a website forum dedicated to real autograph collecting" - because there are. autographccf.co.uk is one, 90% of the time when a PP/sec/AP/stamp is reported as feedback, its reported as a failure rather than a success (unlike on here, where 90% of PP/sec/AP/stamps are "successes")

An autograph by its very definition is when a celeb puts pen to paper. PPs, APs, Secs, stamps, none of these are autographs. They're reproductions and worthless.

Apparently its wrong to tell someone this. Why? If a member says "I got an authentic", then others write and get the same fake, they've just wasted postage. The "rule" is a joke, but its never, EVER, been an official rule on here, so everyone who says "follow the rules", well, its not one. LOL.

Classing non-authentics as successes (or even worse, classing them as authentic) is massively damaging on all kinds of levels.
CLICK BELOW TO SEE MY TWITTER PAGE! OVER 10,000 FOLLOWERS!
jrott
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jrott »

"Until there is a website forum dedicated to real autograph collecting" - because there are. autographccf.co.uk is one
Thanks for the tip, will have to check it out {up}
Classing non-authentics as successes (or even worse, classing them as authentic) is massively damaging on all kinds of levels.
I agree 100% but this site is not dedicated to the "real" autograph collector. I would guess that at least 95% of the posters here could care less if its real, we are in the minority. My point being that if we choose to post here, we should play the game the way they want it played since we are posting in their house