Got a job working at my local Post Office!! :)

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
RYAN J.

Got a job working at my local Post Office!! :)

Post by RYAN J. »

Today was my first day as a PMR (Post Master Relief)!! :D My mom was in our local post office a couple months ago and saw a job offer asking for people to submit their application online, I filled out a LOT of forms and had safety training for two days in Lansing, MI at their main post office station. That place is HUGE! :shock: They process over 2.5 MILLION Pieces of mail EACH DAY! :shock:

My job is on Saturdays or weekdays when the Post master has to leave for an emergency or vacation. I accept the mail when it comes in on the truck, put the letters in the correct P.O. Boxes. I have to scan barcodes and registered letters and submit that data into the computer.

I'm also going to be issuing money orders and selling stamps as well as promoting the products the USPS has for sale. {up} and about a hundred other odd little jobs. :lol:

This is not only a great learning experiance, but it pays well and I love getting to see how the postal world works from the inside! :D

RYAN J. 8)
WookieeLover
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Got a job working at my local Post Office!! :)

Post by WookieeLover »

Cool!! Congrats!!
I'm glad you found a job you like! {up} :mrgreen:

I would also love to work in a post office! :D
kennedyniles
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by kennedyniles »

Yay! :lol: 8)

http://www.kennedynilesautographs.webs.com - Please sign my guestbook!
http://www.wesendfanmail.forumotions.com - Join my forum!

Latest success: 1/25/2011: Earl Holliman! :)
Latest RTS: 1/25/2011: Daniel B. Windsor (UTF) :(
Latest Sent Request(s): 1/29/2011: Daniel B. Windsor Image
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Thanks WookieeLover & Dalton! The post master who's instructing me with on the job training is so understanding and told me not to worry about making mistakes and just do my best. :D It really helps being in a small office. {up}

RYAN J. 8)
khackdrums

Post by khackdrums »

How often would the post master need to request off? Did they give you an idea of how often you might work? Doesn't seem like you would be working much...
Kyle :)

DON'T TREAD ON ME! [us] PRIDE!

Grunge is Dead.
scarybun
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by scarybun »

Great. Now we're going to get even fewer autographs because Ryan's going to steal them all! ;)

(Scarily enough, too many people believe this is possible)
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

khackdrums wrote:How often would the post master need to request off? Did they give you an idea of how often you might work? Doesn't seem like you would be working much...
Yeah, it's only on Saturdays and when she wants to take a day off. if she wanted to take the whole week off she could, then I would step in to replace during that time. granted I'd be the one geting payed and not her, plus her being actual postmaster pays way more than being a PMR. :lol:

RYAN J. 8)
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

scarybun wrote:Great. Now we're going to get even fewer autographs because Ryan's going to steal them all! ;)

(Scarily enough, too many people believe this is possible)
Haha, not likely! I saw how much security goes on in post offices when I took training this week. It does happen, but 90% of the time they get caught and hit with huge fines and jail time. I know I won't be attempting it. {up} So any mail that come through my hands goes straight into the P.O. boxes.

RYAN J. 8)
Jaffer
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Jaffer »

Congrats buddy,great to get a job in a field your passionate about!

And you confirmed what i thought- theft in fact DOES HAPPEN,but security nearly always catches them.
Best successes: Gal Gadot, Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rachel McAdams

Best Responses: Freida Pinto, Gemma Arterton, Berenice Marlohe, Jeremy Renner

Recent successes: Connie Nielsen, Ursula Corbero, Daniela Melchior, Kate Beckinsale, Amber Heard
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Thanks Jaffer!! They showed us some videos while we were in training on people caught stealing mail. One lady had enough mail that it filled two 52-foot trailers worth!! :shock: It was just sick. she stuffed all the letters into black trash bags and tossed them in her garage. :( Others were caught swiping gift cards after numerous people complained that they weren't getting there money or that the cards had been opened before they arrived.

So bottom line, crime doesn't pay. {down}

RYAN J. 8)