What's your mailbox look like? Fun Group Topic! :)

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
.Nicole.
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: What's your mailbox look like? Fun Group Topic! :)

Post by .Nicole. »

On the comments about the bended envelopes in mailboxes in the door. I think it has to due with several factors.
1. Your mailman/woman and Postoffice
2. The size of your mailbox
3. The size of your envelope

I've noticed a lot that with me the problem lies usually with either the postoffice or my mailman/woman. I use envelopes and photo's that I know will fit into my mailbox in my door. Unfortunatly the ones I have send without a SAE or SASE have a bigger chance to get bend due to the size envelop.
Although that also differences. My Doris Day one fitted perfectly while it was a big envelope. Same as my Herman's Hermits one. But Evanna Lynch and Harry Potter Trio were both bend to go through my mailbox.

So I have problems due to point 1 and 3 but also by point 2. I live in a house that's sort of a flat. 2 families occupy it. This also means 2 mailboxes in the door. We are one of the few people here on the block that have this. This sometimes calls for a problem with bigger envelopes. That's why I always tend to send 2 photo's with a small SAE/SASE so I'll know it will fit :D

But I love seeing all these mailboxes! I love the ones with a little flag on it :D
http://nicoleautogramme.repage.de/ <-- My German Autographs [This is purely in German]

Favourite Autographs: Dawn French, Nina-Friederike Gnädig, Sina-Valeska Jung, Charlotte Schwab, Ronja Forcher too name a few
Waiting On: 107
Latest Received: Sissy Höfferer, Wolke Hegenbarth
Latest Sent:Caroline Scholze, Jophi Ries, Steve Windolf, Lilia Lehner, Kerstin Landsman, Carina Wiese [RESENT], Jan Fedder, Saskia Fischer, Marc Zwinz, Steffen Groth, Janina Hartwig, Karin Gregorek, Lars Weström, Emanuela von Frankenberg, Denise M'Baye, Julia Heinze, Thomas Clemens, Janette Rauch, Serhat Cokgezen, Nathalie O'Hara, Margrit Sartorius, Fritz Wepper, Ulrike Folkerts
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

LOL, Loved reading you post Khackdrums! Specially the part where you said mailboxes resemble people, so true! We don’t have many people on our road either that would try to steal our mail, in fact sometimes our mail gets mixed up with the neighbors and they always drive over on their Golf cart to deliver it to us. And I don’t really hover over my mailbox either, just like to keep a watchful eye on it, especially during the winter months and rainy days as snow and rain tends to blow into the mail box and soak anything that’s in there longer than 20 minutes. :P

@ Johnny's Fan, I guess I should clarify Not all mailboxes in the USA have to be by the road. In town most of them are on the house by the door, but we rural folk live so far apart that the post office has to drive vehicles to deliver the mail and it just makes it easier on them to drop it off near the road in a mailbox instead of having to pull into every driveway, get out, and deliver it and repeating the whole process the entire route which can be quite long (10-20 miles or more).

And yes, most of the mail Americans mail out just needs one stamp, so we don’t have to take those into the post office, we just place them in the mailbox and put the flag up. One cool thing about our mail system though is, I can place money in my mailbox along with a request for stamps, envelopes or other supplies and the next day they will bring them to me!! So it saves me the hassle of going into town and spending extra gas money. We can also print postage off from the internet for large packages and have those picked up as well in case we can’t make it into town.

@ ladybritney, That’s awesome that you have the same mailbox too! Not sure what advice I can give about sprucing the color up though, I actually prefer the black color just like it is. I think normal outdoor paint would work though. Might need to sand the mailbox first to make sure it will stick and not peel off. & you’re so right, I need to replace the flag on mine as well, not sure why they made the newer flags so tiny on these it actually looks out proportion with the rest of the mailbox. Lol. Our old one had a much bigger flag that I could see from far away, but it wore out.

Thanks once again for all the great feedback on this! Not sure why I didn’t post this topic long ago when I originally thought about it!

RYAN J. 8)
magicdude20
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by magicdude20 »

khackdrums wrote:..........Therefore, mail theft rarely happens. For the most part, human beings are law abiding citizens and the thought of tampering with someone else’s mailbox never crosses our minds. Unless you’re a little punk kid up to no good, or live in the hood, it doesn’t happen...........

Khackdrums :D
I've spent half of my life in the hood (some of the worst neighborhoods Milwaukee and Chicago have to offer) and I assure you, mail theft is not a problem at all. Punk kids are everywhere, teens do stupid stuff in every neighborhood, in every part of the country, and in every income bracket. The only time I ever had a problem, is when I lived into a really nice neighborhood, at which point a drunk driver hit my mail box, and another time, rich teens decieded to destroy mailboxes with baseball bats, I also had a problem with my mailman stealing mail, of course that doesn't have anything to do with my neighborhood, bad mailmen to deliver anywhere.
Most Recently Sent: Larry King,George Foreman
Most Recent Successes: Bret Michaels, RL Stine
Most Recent In Person: Bret Michaels, Tommy Smothers Signed Give Peace A Chance Vinyl
Favorite Autographs: Chesley Sully Sullenberger AKA Pilot who landed plane on the Hudson, Kari Byron (Hot pic)
Favorite Personalization: Henry Winkler (Fonzie)
Most Authentic Successes in a day: 3, Most sends in a day: 7, RTS to date: 4 Sec's: 2, PP/AP: 18 Authentic: 92
Icena
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Icena »

Here's my porch, for some reason we have 2 letterboxes, one in the door itself and another in the wall. We get mail through both of them, I think our postman likes to mix and match things a little, lol.
R.I.P Jeremy Brett, The Only Sherlock Holmes I've Ever Known.
ComedyLoverAtHeart
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by ComedyLoverAtHeart »

Hello all.

I'm english so just a boring old letter slot on the front door. :-(

would actually love to have a mail box like the american ones. just makes it a bit more intresting. (sigh)

xXXx
Proopalicious

Most wanted: Ryan Stiles, Sean Murray, Michael Weatherly, Colin Mocherie,

Favourite Successes: Greg Proops, David Tennant, Hugh Dennis, Stephen Fry, Stephen Frost, David McCallum

Requested: Michael Weatherly, Ryan Stiles, Eve Myles, John Simm, Richard Willson, David Morrissey

Do you go looking for trouble?
No but it seems to know where I am most of the time.

Life is a waste of time,
Time is a waste of life,
Get wasted all the time,
And you'll have the time of your life.
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Thanks Guys! that's cool with that double mailbox {up} Very unique! :D

RYAN J. 8)
magicdude20
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by magicdude20 »

Finally got around to taking a pic of my mail box, this is why I use photo envelopes, my mailman will come to my door with photo mailers but will put manilla envelopes in my mail box, which doesn't fold them but will at least bow them a little

Most Recently Sent: Larry King,George Foreman
Most Recent Successes: Bret Michaels, RL Stine
Most Recent In Person: Bret Michaels, Tommy Smothers Signed Give Peace A Chance Vinyl
Favorite Autographs: Chesley Sully Sullenberger AKA Pilot who landed plane on the Hudson, Kari Byron (Hot pic)
Favorite Personalization: Henry Winkler (Fonzie)
Most Authentic Successes in a day: 3, Most sends in a day: 7, RTS to date: 4 Sec's: 2, PP/AP: 18 Authentic: 92
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Thanks Magicdude! I used to have one just like that when I lived in an apartment building years ago. Wasn't into collecting autographs back then so I never had to deal with folded photos. :lol: So nice that your mailman delivers them to your door though! :D

RYAN J. 8)
johnnylightning
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by johnnylightning »

Hey i like this topic so i thought i would share my new mailbox...I decided to go with a locker just to be safe in case the mail has to sit for a day or 2,i converted my old rural box to a newspapers only & 90% of the requests i send are 5x7 pics in 6x9 envelopes and they fit in the locking box nicely & the mailman always brings the 9x12 envelopes to the door anyways...
RYAN J.

Post by RYAN J. »

Very awesome johnnylightning!! I like those Locking Mailboxes too!! :D Thanks for sharing! Very nice that your mailman brings your 9x12 envelopes to the door, Top service! {up}

RYAN J. 8)