CV Help

Discussion of current events and participation in intelligent conversation with other Fanmail.biz users.
New Fanmail.biz Users: Introduce Yourself Here! 8)
barmy_army008

CV Help

Post by barmy_army008 »

I've finally decided that it might be time to find myself a part-time job. I went into a shop that I thought I might like to work in, and they said that I should hand in a CV and cover letter.

I was wondering if those if you who are less lazy than me and already have a CV could give me a few tips.

I've started with the profile part, basically saying 'I consider myself to be honest, reliable etc etc'. Then i've gone on to schools i've attended and my grades, hobbies and interests, and finally a reference person they can contact.

As I have no previous work experience, i've left that part out.

I'll probably hand this in to a couple of places and hope they call me back, but does anyone have any tips for what else I should put (my name and contact details are at the top).

Thanks,

Barmy {up}
TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by TheCollector »

Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume

Hi barmy_army008 {up}

It sounds like you have included just about everything there!

There is a particular order in which you are supposed to list your details though, check out this page: http://www.alec.co.uk/cvtips/examstcv.htm which gives you a good example.

My advice is to copy the CV on the above website and substitute your own details!

The only other bit of advice I can give (as someone who has ploughed through thousands of CV's, when I have been recruiting) - is to keep the font (typeface) clear - Times or Arial, and try to limit the CV to as few pages as possible, and no more than three.

Good luck!

Ian :wink:
barmy_army008

Post by barmy_army008 »

Thanks!

The length shouldn't really be a problem, because I have no previous experience to write about which means it only takes up just over a side.

I've written a cover letter just saying why I think i'd be suitable to work there.

Hopefully i'll be lucky. Saying that though, I probably won't get round to handing any in for ages...bit nervous about just walking into a shop and hoping I find the right person to give it too and stuff!
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

You'll be fine :wink:

Best of luck with the job-hunting!

Ian :mrgreen:

Solution

Post by Guest »

I've finally decided that it might be time to find myself a part-time job. I went into a shop that I thought I might like to work in, and they said that I should hand in a CV and cover letter.
I think you have figured it out. :o)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:56 pm.