Collecting advice!

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.

Moderator: admin

TheCollector
$10 gift certificate winner
Interests:

Collecting advice!

Post by TheCollector »

A few things to remember when collecting for charity/non-profit:
  • 1). Write or type a personal (short) note to the celebrity / or their agent, explaining what you are collecting for. I would advise against mail merging a letter as I have found that getting a personal reference to the celebrities work into the letter (such as their latest film) pays dividends.

2). Always supply a stamped self addressed envelope (I always send out A4's) and if the celeb wants to send you something larger (and they often do) they will use their own packaging. I know sending out postage can be a bit expensive, but I guarentee you will get a much higher success rate.

3). When you ask for the autograph, try to explain what benefit that would have for your charity - celebs are much more likely to help if they can see a positive outcome for their effort.

4). Do not limit yourself by only asking for photos. If you say that any signed items (including photos) would be greatfully received, you will find you can also collect signed t-shirts, mugs, dvd's, videos etc, which will make your auction a bit more interesting!

5). Finally when you have received something, try to send a quick thank you note back (easiest via email). This makes future charity collections easier for those who follow in your shoes!
I hope this is a bit of help!
Cheers {thumb2}
Ian
Heather6543

Post by Heather6543 »

Do celebs ever send signed scripts for fundrasiers?
Thanks!
TheCollector
Interests:

Scripts

Post by TheCollector »

Heather6543 wrote:Do celebs ever send signed scripts for fundrasiers?
Thanks!

Hi Heather6543 {up}

Yes, I have been sent a couple of scripts for my charity collection.

I have got a script for "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy", and a script for the new BBC Lottery programme signed by Stephen Fry and Julian Clarey respectively.

Cheers!

Ian
seanny
Interests:

Post by seanny »

hi with the script of hittchhikers guide to the galaxy do u have martin freemans autograph on it becase hes a very hard person to get a response from and i would really be intersted in it if it has his on it

regards seanny

peace
TheCollector
Interests:

Hitchhiker

Post by TheCollector »

seanny wrote:hi with the script of hittchhikers guide to the galaxy do u have martin freemans autograph on it becase hes a very hard person to get a response from and i would really be intersted in it if it has his on it

regards seanny

peace
Hi Seanny, {up}

Sorry, no, this script was sent to me by Stephen Fry and it only has his auto on it!

Cheers {thumb2} [uk]
Ian
KevinTRod
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Re: Collecting advice!

Post by KevinTRod »

My question is how long in advance should I write these letters. Does it notmally take months to get a reply, or are they normally very good at responding pretty quickly. I ask this because my church is going to do an annual fundraising event for overseas misinary work (helping build homes, bringing food for hungry children, etc...), and I was wondering whether or not I need to start writing letters now or wait a little bit longer first (the fundraising event will take place sometime between April and June of next year). Thanks for the advice.
TheCollector
Interests:

Re: Collecting advice!

Post by TheCollector »

KevinTRod wrote:My question is how long in advance should I write these letters. Does it notmally take months to get a reply, or are they normally very good at responding pretty quickly. I ask this because my church is going to do an annual fundraising event for overseas misinary work (helping build homes, bringing food for hungry children, etc...), and I was wondering whether or not I need to start writing letters now or wait a little bit longer first (the fundraising event will take place sometime between April and June of next year). Thanks for the advice.
Hi KevinTRod {up}

My advice is to start now!!! Some will respond quite quickly, and on the whole I have been very lucky with speed, but some have taken up to 6 months!!!!

To illustrate this, I begain collecting in March based on the auction being in September. In reality we have decided to postpone the auction until Novermber/December as we are still getting some good responses.

It really is never to early to start collecting for an auction as you may well have to approach some celebs more than once to get a positive result.

Good luck, and if you need any more advice or help please let me know.

Ian :mrgreen:
VaNeSsA hUdGeNs #1 fAn
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by VaNeSsA hUdGeNs #1 fAn »

Hi, do you know the age-limit of charity collecting?
Many thanks
Olivia

&&; set made by me. NO stealies.

Check out my graphics shop! CURRENTLY OPEN!
Nammzi
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector
Interests:

Post by Nammzi »

I have put in my letter "I would be very grateful if you could take the time to sign a photograph or any other item..."

I think that that sounds kind of weird, it doesn't sound good... What do others think?
Here comes the world and she is beautifully mysterious

http://scottishspca.fotopic.net/
TheCollector
Interests:

Post by TheCollector »

Hi Nammzi {up}

I think that sounds fine :wink:

Ian :mrgreen: