For The Love of Dean - Cancer Research Auction

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
hemetsphere
$10 gift certificate winner

For The Love of Dean - Cancer Research Auction

Post by hemetsphere »

3 years ago I lost my best friend to Liver Cancer, he was only 38. To honor his memory and our everlasting friendship, I am collecting autographed items to be auctioned on eBay. All proceeds will be donated to a local University research department (I worked for when I was younger).

I wanted to do something special and different, so I decided to send a leather book to be signed - I am hoping for 100 signatures (although maybe too ambitious).

Here is my first attempt for signature:

On July 5, 2006, I mailed the book, a letter and a return envelope to John Travolta:

John Travolta
P.O. Box 3560
Santa Barbara, CA 92543

On January 25, 2006

I received a letter with two photographs - no book. I was crushed, thinking the book was forever gone.

Today, January 27, 2006

I received the book - signed (and then some) with a note from June Travolta. Very Nice Indeed - he really is great!

Image Image Image Image Image

Picture Host - PicTiger

Enjoy and wish me luck on my next quest - Sally Field.

Kay
K Shackleton
dgangel

Post by dgangel »

thats sweet, goodluck with your charity.

But, I am wondering, would someone want to bid on a book with over 100 different autographs in it? I think you would get more money auctioning off individual autographs. Also, you could get many autographs in the book, and then send it to someone else, and it may not come back.
hemetsphere

Post by hemetsphere »

I have taken your advice on the book. Although I will still have it signed, I am also sending LOR's for autographed items to be auctioned. Today, I got my first success, Tom Cruise:

Image Image

Upload Images with PicTiger

Enjoy!

Kay
K Shackleton
hemetsphere

Post by hemetsphere »

Second signature in my book received today, James Garner:

Image Image

Picture Album with PicTiger
K Shackleton
dgangel

Post by dgangel »

im glad your getting a lot of autographs in your book & for your charity. I hope that when it comes time to sell, you raise a decent amount of money. Goodluck {up}
Markd
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Markd »

That is a great idea and I hope you recieve a bunch more signatures in your book. I am looking forward to seeing your other successes.
Visit my Autograph blog to see my successes!

markdautographs.blogspot.ca
Logan-Autograph-Guy
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Logan-Autograph-Guy »

Awesome success!!
I should try the book idea

Can't wait to see your next success :D
Most Recently Requested: Kate Winslet, Sara Paxton, Henry Ian Cusick, Susan Sarandon, Christina Ricci, Samuel Alito, Roseanne Barr, Colin Powell, Regis Philbin, Liv Tyler, Kate Winslet (2nd for charity), Newt Gingrich, John Glenn, Cheryl Hines, Justin Chambers, Madison Pettis, "Wicked" cast, "Beauty and the Beast" cast
Last Autograph Received: Richard Russo (auction)
Last In-Person Autograph: Diane Sawyer
My Favorite Autograph: Amanda Bynes
afem1010

Post by afem1010 »

My advice to you is, that if you really want to make a book with autographs, get in-person signings. This way, you are sure you won't get secretarials or autopens or the book getting lost. You know for sure you have an authentic autograph and you get it in a short amount of time. Of course, each person has his/her own way, but thats just a view.

Thats the exact advice I gave another board member. Of course, if you find it easier to mail the book, then try and set like insurance or insured mail service.

It is a lovely thing you are doing and may you succeed your 100 autograph goal and go further. God Bless

afem1010