Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues(Frmr Wake Forest & NBA Great) success

Tell us about your own charity collection, or ask for advice from our charity experts.
dagoz
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues(Frmr Wake Forest & NBA Great) success

Post by dagoz »

On 3/14/2011, I sent a 5X7 photograph, letter and SASE to Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues. He was only 5' 3", but had a stellar college career at Wake Forest and played for many years in the NBA. My brother was having a sports memorabilia auction to raise scholarship money for needy kids to attend the school his son was attending (His son died tragically at six years of age). My brother had turned his grief into something positive with the golf tournament and auction. I sent the photo to Mugsy, along with a flyer which talked about the golf tournament/auction hoping to have the photo for the auction. My brother lives in North Carolina, so Mugsy is a big name in that area. I live in California, so the SASE was addressed to the school. On 8/14/12, the principal of the school was meeting with the faculty and talking about the scholarship - He said the school was small but even small people can make a big difference. He talked about Mugsy Bogues and how small he was, but he made a big impact (The principal and my brother had no idea I had sent this photo to Mugsy and I had actually forgotten). On 8/15/12, the photo arrived with Mugsy signing his name and writing, "Keep believing". What incredible timing! I got into autographs because I like to see the other side of the pro athletes, the giving side. This is probably my favorite autograph of all time because it was such a great encouragement and help to my brother, the principal and the school staff. Many times, we run into "stars" who are haughty and rude, but something like this makes up for all of the other stuff. I am hoping to get a picture of the photo to post and used a private address. If you would like the address, you can pm me, but it obviously isn't a very active or accurate address since it took over a year and a half. However, I am thrilled by this and glad the photo came at just the right time. Sorry to be so long winded, but we need to hear more stories like this!
yargo
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: Tyrone "Mugsy" Bogues(Frmr Wake Forest & NBA Great) succ

Post by yargo »

Great story! Very inspiring... Thanks for sharing it.. {up}
gogbssports
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by gogbssports »

Heart-warming. Honestly, you are right. It's great to see the giving part of athletes and celebrities. All we do is hound them for autographs but they see the things we write. God bless man. Great work. Class act as always Muggsy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi dagoz :)

Thank you for your feedback {up}

Fanmail 8)