help please

Need help? Tips? Tricks? This is the place to ask any questions related to autograph collecting. New collectors, post your questions here!
22boycrazy22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

help please

Post by 22boycrazy22 »

hi - i know that this is probably illegal, but my messaging thing wont work, beucase i have tried to contact some of you important people, so i can get some help with something! So, if you could please help me i would really appreciate it, and i didn't know where else to go for this type of help, so please forgive me. Here is my question :
Normally, i askthe celebrity to send me a picture of them in my letter, but I wanted to try to send a picture to them. So, can I find a photo of the celebrity onthe internet and print it out and send it to them? I asked my mom about it(cause I am 16) and she said that it's illegal because of the copyrights or something. But then where does everybody else get them? And where could I get one that would be okay to send that wouldn't interfear with the law? Thanks, and I hope to hear from you soon... Alyssa
-Alyssa-
son of thunder
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Re: help please

Post by son of thunder »

unless it specifically states on the picture that it is copywrited go ahead and print the picture off the innternet,, I send about 10-20 a month and most I send I do exactly that- find a cool picture on the internet, print it off, annd send it. I've got great responses back and alot say something like they really like the pictrure or how they liked how they looked at that particular time. go for it.
Shambler
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by Shambler »

When I send a request, I print any good pic I can find on google, copyrighted or not. The celebs really aren't fussed, so go straight ahead.

In my opinion if there are photographers who don't want their work 'illegally' printed by private persons, they shouldn't put it on the net at all.
AUTHENTIC, OR NOTHING AT ALL.
LATEST SUCCESSES : Liam Lawrence, Ashley Young, Daniel Agger
qwertyuiop
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by qwertyuiop »

I don't think it's illegal sending it off to them, just the publishing on the internet etc.

Qwertyuiop
Favourite successes: Paramore, New Found Glory, Death Cab For Cutie
22boycrazy22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by 22boycrazy22 »

ok, thanks everybody! i just wasn't sure, and i didn't want to get sued or something beucsae i didn't know!
-Alyssa-
RuleroftheWorld

Post by RuleroftheWorld »

Creating copies of copywrited material is illegal. Therefore printing copies of copywrited photos is illegal.

Everyone does it though, and Ive never seen anyone get in trouble for it.
jdp3577
$10 gift certificate winner
$10 gift certificate winner

Post by jdp3577 »

I think the only trouble would be if you tried to sell it
#-John-#
jasonw
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by jasonw »

You are commiting a civil offence by using an image on the net without the authorization of the author. However if you try to sell it or upload it without authorization - it is a criminal offence.
However, as Andy had stated - no one has got caught for doing that. If you are scared, then you might as well ask the celeb to send you an autographed photo of theirs.
Jason.

Mischa Barton. Best Success of 2009?
Click to view!
22boycrazy22
Autograph Collector
Autograph Collector

Post by 22boycrazy22 »

well, i am never going to sell it, because i keep all my autographs, and I already asked, and i waited a year, so i thought that i would try this way because this person is my most favorite person ever! Thanks again for all the advice and information.
-Alyssa-